1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been considering a TIG welder. Not because I need one, but because I want one. Anyone else have one? Do you find them useful? What situations do they shine.

2. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Hi, just dropped by this forum on a whim,

I have a large TIG, but it is more a playtoy than anything else for me. Lincoln digital Squarwave 255 water cooled torch, foot and hand remotes

TIG shines in exotic, and precision, and versatility, Say you want to weld this chromo 4130 1/2 .030 wall tubing for an aircraft engine mount, no problem, right rod, adjust settings and away you go, next in may be a magnesium XMSN case in a rail buggy, no problem, right rod, good shielding, machine adjust and away you go, need to do some precision hardsurface on a cutting edge, well, you get the point.

Tig is not the choice for quick, production, non skilled welding.

Both Miller and Lincoln have excellent starter Tigs available for around 2K now. Would probably do all I ever need to do, but then I could not play with the waveform and act like I know what I am doing!

Weldor's tend to find a nitch that they work with. I tend to work with Motorcyle riders and speedy car guys. Put cases back together on bikes, shifters, brakes etc. Have modified and constructed numerous intercoolers for the sport car guys. About once a month I am doing some odd project in the shop with the TIG. (just a play shop at this point in my life)

e-mail me direct if I can answer some questions for you.

Alan Bechard
  3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

dont limit yourself to just tig! Get a machine that will handle anything. You can usually do almost anything with a tig/stick machine, although I would want the mig option as well. Miller makes a couple of good machines like this with generator, or 220/440 machines for shop use. Tig is about the only way I would weld aluminium, or specialty metals such as stellite,waspalloy,brass, bronze,aluminium bronze to name a few,but Mig an stick will do just about anything. :drinkup:
  4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry I should have said that I have a 210 mig. It will do as heavy as I think I will need to go. Just want tig as toy. Just trying to justify with possible uses that I have not thought of.

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Gotcha!!;) Awsome machine for aluminium and thin stuff like 20 ga. or thinner:drinkup: