Tiger Cub....Briggs 26hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jathames, May 22, 2008.

1. jathames

jathames LawnSite Member

Guys I had a Scag dealer today trying to talk me out of the 19 hp kawi... and into the 26hp Briggs... Is the Briggs any good... I have always heard Kawi or Kohler.. But he said he sells the crap out of the 26 briggs 48 inch tiger cub.. for $800 to $900 less than the 19 kawi ... any thoughts would help.. Thanks

Jeff

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Go Briggs I have heard nothing but good about that 26

3. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

briggs and stratton are good engines. 26hp would be the smallest engine I would consider. There is no such thing as too many horsepower when it comes to mowing tall, wet, thick, grass, having to double cut sometimes with less horsepower.:weightlifter:

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard the same from my Scag dealer. That 26 hp Briggs is a very good engine. Has more oomph than my 23 Kawasaki on my Tiger Cub. I guess Briggs has come a long way in the engine world and is building a dependable reputation. It would still be a hard toss between my Kawasaki's and the Briggs. Plus a 26 on a 48 Velocity.......WOW!!!!! My 16hp Kaw on my walk behind Velocity is amazing enough. Couldnt imagine another 10hp to kick around. Go with it and you will be happy with it. Why not go to a 52" though?

5. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Look up the specs on the Briggs engine and compare them to the 19 Kawi. The Briggs is the ELS model not the Vanguard. My dealer steered me away from the Briggs and said the Kawi is a much better engine. Do a search, there was just a thread about this very same question about a week or two ago.

6. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I would NEVER buy a Briggs, every dealer i go to says go with either Kawi or Kohler.

7. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I had the dealer try to sell me the same thing, now if I am not mistaken isnt it kinda funny that now the buzz is Briggs/Straton. I think these companys get together and work out deals with each other to push certain products. And remember your salesman is a SALESMAN. He will tell you what he has to in order to make the deal.
    Now as for the Briggs, I didnt like it because of the paper/foam air filter that came with it. I had the same kind of filter on my 19 Kaw when I first got it and had all kinds of trouble with dirt getting in the carb. I put on the canister filter and never had a problem since. If the briggs came with the canister filter I wouldnt be as hesitant to buy it. Just my 2 cents.

8. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

i think you can get the canister filter for the briggs for about 150 bucks more. the els is a step under a vanguard. the els had an air filter problem first year but it was corrected. i run the vg 23 on a tiger cub 52 inch. i have had my share of kaws but i like briggs vg just as much. supposedly the vg is made by mitsibishi or some japanese company. my dealer is having good luck with the new els, but he is selling most of them on the jome owners model (freedom z)

9. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

vanguard was originally a joint venture between generac, briggs and diatsiu(sp). for what ever reason, generac dropped out. The vanguard is a fine motor, the ELS, not so fine. I would prefer the kaw. 26Hp isn't going to help you out if its not running.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

My Tiger Cub is coming with a 25hp Kohler....