1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tiger Cub on hill question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProCare Lawn Service, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I was just wondering why my Tiger Cub will hold a hill well, when going across it, with the left side facing down the hill, but won't hold the hill worth a flip with the right side facing down. Any other people noticed this and know the reason?
  2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Dont go up and down if the front end pops up. I have flipped my TC twice once on an extreme hill and once off of a pair of ramps going over a retaining wall (the one ramp gave into the weight and flipped me over but I was able to get out with a minor scracth.)

one way to keep it from poping up (please take EXTREME CAUTION) is to add weight to the front. but Be careful and NEVER go down the hill if it is steep enough to make the front end pop up.

my TT doesnt pop up as much as my TT. I have tested a a few mowers that look to stick to hill and scag did the best.

It is very scary to have the mower slide down the hill out of control.

I have noticed some turf damage over the years on the hills from my mowers.

so I solved the prob and bought a steiner with 5ft deck with dual wheels and weight kit. It works great for the hill. I use it as a hill mower and to trench, dig holes, snow plow sidewalks, blow leave and got the slip scoop to move gravel and mulch around.

oh and the reason why they dont stick is there is more weight in the back then front so when going up a hill the weight is greater in the back...?? hehe actaully I am not really sure but it is something like that.
  3. ProCare Lawn Service

Slick, I am not talking about going vertically up a hill, I am talking about going horizontally across a hill. With the right side facing down the hill it will slide, not so with left side facing down. Just wondering why this is. No problems going vertically as long as I keep the front end pointed up the hill.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Humm... that is odd.

I thought the TC was pretty evened out left to right? No?

The 52" Lazer HP does the same thing, but opposite.
    But there is a reason for that with the HP.
  5. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Check your fuel tanks. They dont drain evenly so one side is heavier than the other.
  6. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Look carefully at your front casters, they are offset from each other. Having them go out from the frame at different angles offers greater stability on hills, but the right side is more prone to slipping. :waving:
  7. ProCare Lawn Service

It is not the fuel levels in tanks, I have tried it every which a way and with the same result.

You may just be correct, I must check that out. It just amazes me how well it will hold with the left side down and how easily it will nose dive with the right side down.
  8. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

a low tire could cause this also
  9. ProCare Lawn Service

No low tires, check them constantly.