1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tiger cub or W/b (Long Post)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J.Gordon, Apr 25, 2003.

1. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry if this is to long, but I don’t want to make a stupid mistake knowing how much knowledge is on this site from people that have already be there and done that.
    I need some help in choosing the right mower, I have been wanting to get in the Lawn mowing business for several years now. But I will have to start out part-time (probably in the fall) for leaf removal.
    I try only to buy commercial equipment because of the durability, timesaving and the parts availability but have some homeowner equipment soon to be gone. Just for my own land, which is 10 acres a lot of trees and tons of leaves, which takes forever to cleanup. I have read a lot of the forums and know there are many fine mowers out there, and have learned a lot from the members in this forum already. (This site has been so helpful in a lot of my decisions.)
    Being able to pay cash for my equipment plays a major part in my choices.
    (I don’t want to start off in debt.)
    The brands that I have available nearby are Dixie Chopper, Kubota, Scag, Cub cadet (Tank) Woods, But these are the ones with the best dealer support.
    I am leaning toward the Scag Tiger cub 48’’ deck 19hp Kaw. For about $6,000 or upgrade to a 52’’ for $6,200 the Scag Walk behind 17 hp Kaw. Hydro 48’’ or 52’’deck for $4,200-$4,400 until I can justify the bigger and better stuff.
    There are hills in the area that I live and that is a concern. Along with my darn leaves.
    So I will have to remove them.
    It would be nice to be able to sit down while I work, but the idea of being able to just walk around the mower to pick up a fallen branch would save so much time.
    Any constructive information you could give would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Your equipment purchase will depend on the kind of properties you want to service and the money your willing to spend. In my area 2acres is considered a big residential lot. I cuurently run all wb's with with sulky's and consider them a great bang for your buck. You can throw the sulky on and do good size properties or take it off and do hills. the only problem I see is your 10 acres. Like I said I run nothing but wb's and don't have any plans to beause of the properties I service but I wouldn't look forward to bouncing around on sulky long enough to cut 10 acres.
  3. J.Gordon

Thanks for the reply Lawn Specialties
    I should have added that I don’t mow all ten acres with a finish mower, I also have a Kubota 4wd with a four-ft. brush hog and a International with a six-ft. brush hog I cut about six acres with the brush hogs. But when all the brush is cleared.
    I will be mowing it all.
    As to what kind of lawns I will be trying to get. What ever I can get as long as I think I can make a good profit out of it.
    I work at a plant that pays over $2,000 a month for their service, which I will be bidding on when I get all the equipment that I need to do it efficiently.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I run scag rider and walk behinds with sulkies and: after mowing for an hour or more with the walk behind my legs and back are ready to get back on the turf tiger. I think if it fits your budget a rider is the only way to go.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Rider, You can towA Big bagger For Your Leaves.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Here Zip This will bag your leaves!

7. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

How much of your own 10 Acres do you mow? I think your property alone is going to require a ZTR. I would say 52" would be the minimum, and you will probably need a 36"-48" Wb mower for smaller yards. Buy one mower this year and one next year.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Or at least 4 mowable???

72" ZTR for sure.

Then a 48" WB for the small stuff.

Get a high powered ZTR. Maybe a diesel. This way you won't need those TRACTORS as much.

48" deck for 10 acres??? :confused:

You must really like to spend some time mowing then, huh? :D
  9. J.Gordon

Thanks for all the replies.
    I knew that cheap and logical wouldn't go together for me. It sounded like you guys advised me to jump up to the 60’’ class. Now I will have to justify this with the wife.
    Now the question is which mower to get?
    #1-Scag turf tiger $ 8,000 lasts years model
    #2-Kubota ZED-21 $11,000 new
    #3-Kubota ZD –28 $11,700 new
    #4-Ferris 25 hp Kaw $8,000 lasts years model (don’t know what model it is)
    #5-Dixie Chopper
    #8- Exmark (would have to order one because the dealer close by has no inventory or parts.)

Thanks again

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Have you priced a 61in tiger cub---I think the scag promotion on tiger cubs would apply to the 61in as well. It is built similar to exmark, bobcat, etc. with belt drive to the deck and a slightly lighter frame.