1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tiger cub question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dan the mowing man, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Dan the mowing man

Dan the mowing man LawnSite Member

I plan on purchasing a tiger cub in march. My only concern is that the 19hp kaw will not be enough power for the 48 inch deck.I would appreciate your opions.Thank you.
  2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

oh its plenty, we have 2 48" danes with the 19 kaw...
  3. mowman65

mowman65 LawnSite Member
    from lou.ky.

they suck in spring and in wet grass own 1 myself slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Never had any problems with ours either..
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My friend bought one last year and loves it. That 19 Kawasaki has lots of torque!
  6. Dan the mowing man

Dan the mowing man LawnSite Member

If I wanted to I could upgrade to a 21hp kaw for an extra $500,still for an extra $1000 I could get a 54inch deck with a 23hp kaw. Thank you for your replys.
  7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

They have enough power to mow, but they need a bigger engine if you want to run a bagger system.
  8. kmeforou

kmeforou LawnSite Member

I don't know if this is true, but someone told me that the 21 and the 19 are the same, but that one has been governed, so that it was not as responsive. You may only need to make some carburator adjustments in order to get more power.
  9. id go with the 23 ..but the 19 will do good on the 48...the more power the better but if you get a extra good deal the 19 kaw has plenty of torq for a 48 inch deck...i had a 19 on a lazer hp 48 inch ...it was plenty of power.
  10. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Scag Tiger Cub last year with the 19hp and 48" deck and a factory bagger. It has no problem bagging or cutting. With all the rain we had last year, I slowed it down when it was wet. The price was to good for this combo. To step up to a 23hp and 52" deck would have cost another $1400. Hope this helps. Matt