Tiger Cub seat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wiselawns, Jul 23, 2008.

1. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

Ive got close to 1400 hrs on my cub. Ive gone through two seats. The weld that supports the back rest has broken on both occasions. The first time the machine was still under warranty so i got a free replacemet. Now the warranty is long over. Im a decent sized guy and i often mow rough, hilly terrain so i know thats part of the issue. I can have my neighbor just weld the crap out of it, or weld some supports on it. But since i do mow some rough areas im thinking of buying a decent suspension seat. I weigh around 215. Any big guys out there have any experience with the suspension seats?
    Would one just bottom out with my weight? Do they eventually break like the ones that come on the cubs?
    I know there are some that can be adjusted, but what is the weight limit?
    Is there a website that sells one somewhat less expensive that a scag dealer?
    The standard replacement seat at one of the two dealers in my area is around 220 dollars. Thats a joke. A nice suspension seat there would cost well over 300.
    Thanks for the input.

2. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I ordered a suspension seat for my bad boy and it has armrest, lumbar, back angle adustments. 500 dollars, but I am tired of getting beat up so i will fork over the money. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 240 lbs.

3. wiselawns

I dont really need one with all the bells and whistles. Just one that will possibly hold up and cushion the denture removing bumps that i occasionally hit.

4. The Rookie

I looked and looked and they were all in the 4-5 hundred dollar range. I feel like my back is giving out and after sitting in this one I thought about getting one for the living room. lol
    Maybe you can find one cheaper than I did.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I wouldn't know what to do without a suspension seat.

Order it, you won't be disappointed! :)

6. wiselawns

I tried out a buddys ferris with the four wheel suspension and you can definately tell a difference. Just not gonna fork over the money for one just to take a little less pounding. i love the mower i have, its paid for, and im going to use it as long as i possibly can. I definately fork over a few hundred for a suspension seat if they are made sturdier and the welds dont break after a couple of years.

7. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought my Turf Tiger it came with the std seat. Paid $500 for the suspension seat that comes on the 29 DFI.

Only complaint I have is both of the armrests have torn at the end closest to the sticks because I use them to push myself up off the seat.

8. The Rookie

I am just curious as to how old you are. I am 32 and I am getting where I can't take the pounding like I could when I was 25. The :drinkup: hangovers last a couple of days vs a couple of hours with a headache too.:laugh:

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My Scag Cub seat failed after three years and around 1200 hours. One of the three strings broke. A took it apart and that seat is a peice of junk. I am talking about the spring set-up. The failure occurred due to rust getting into the spring mounts and then it wouldn't rotate and broke. Needed to lube it I guess. A non Scag replacement cost me nearly $80 dollars and all it is foam. The plywood part of the seats are paper thin..not much.

10. wiselawns

Just turned 36. Im sure ill pay for it one day.