Tiger cub vs. lazer hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Mar 8, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I am thinking about a larger ztr or wright stander 48 rh for later this year. I am comparing the Zs. In terms of reliability and performance which is better? The scag tiger cub 19kaw 48 velocity or exmark lazer hp 19kaw 46 triton. Which deck cuts better and is better at mulching down here in louisiana? Is the 19 kawasaki enough power? Any feedback on which would be best is apreciated.

2. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new Tiger Cub on Feb 1st, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I don't have any experience at all with Exmark. I will say that a few guys around here have already told me that my Cub will bog down if I try to run the mulch kit. Mine is the 19/48. I too, was concerned with the power of the 19, but I mow everything weekly on my list and don't need to mulch so I think it will be fine.

3. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

In my experience the Scags do not mulch as well as the Exmarks.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We run the Tiger Cub 48" with mulch plate on year round and the 19hp does just fine. We probably mow about the same kind of grass you do but it may not grow as fast.

5. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

That's interesting. Do you have to go back over and double cut any or does it chew the clumps up on the first pass?

6. S man

I have noticed that the triton is a little bit deeper than the velocity. Does that extra inch help with mulching under the deck?
    Which mower is overall more reliable?? The scags just look really solid. Am I wrong?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

About the only time I see some clumps is on a rainy day with rye grass but keep in mind I mow in circles always throwing it to center. And I overlap and pick up anything that might drop on the right side. It would not be a significant time thing to double cut since properties in cities(even commericial) are very small.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark has one of the best cuts in the business. You won't be sorry if you go with Exmark. But I don't know much about the Scags so I can't really compare the two.

9. S man

I will demo both when summer hits! I would go with a stnder 48 rh because I love my 32" stander but will miss sitting down if my big mower is standing also. So I guess the 48" should be a Z!