Tiger Cub vs Lazer Z HP vs JD 717A-Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTOhioMower, Sep 13, 2004.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I am finding it very hard to get an unbias opinion from my local dealers. I need help choosing the right mower for me. I am new to the business and will be servicing at least 10 accounts (part time). Most accounts are medium to small residental with a few large yards. Im looking at the Scag Tiger Cub 19/48" $5999, John Deere 717a 19/48" $5795 and the Exmark Lazer Z Hp 23/52" $7100. I want a mower that has an awsome cut and can keep me productive. Price is a factor to a point. But I am willing to spend a few extra bucks to have a superior machine. Do you guys just pay list price or do dealers usually wheel and deal?

Thank you for your help, I Love lawnSite.com!

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure you want to drop that kind of money into a part-time business? Seems a bit excessive to me unless you're planning a full-time endeavor.

As far as the difference between those three machines is concerned, I don't have any of them, but all three brands have their fans. If your dealer will support all three machines, I'm not sure it makes all that much difference. The only difference I've heard is that Scag builds a more rugged machine for entry-level ZTR mowers than eXmark, but I'm not sure how JD stacks up in that department.

3. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

What I mean by Part time is that I am a full time stay at home dad. My wife works full time and I can only mow after she gets home in the evenings and on weekends. I am going to try my best to stay in this business for a long time. I love this type of work and want to work for myself. When my daughter gets old enough for school I will then really kick into high gear. I think with a great mower I can do more lawns in less time. I dont think I will be able to schedule more than 20 accounts while "part time". If my math is correct the mower will be paid for within my first year. I am taking over some of my friends long time accounts, 7 of them to be exact. I also have added 2 more of my own with out advertising yet. Currently I am using a Snapper lawn cruiser 15hp/42". It cuts pretty nice but it is slow and cant handle any slopes or rough terrain. I thought this mower would be ok for the first year but after cutting my first two accounts I see this might not work so well. Thats why I am in the market for a new mower. Which is best for me.

4. PFHunter

PFHunter LawnSite Member

It doesn't quite look like you're comparing apples to apples (Deck sizes and engine sizes will affect the money sizes). See if you can arrange some demos...

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Try some demos, and the pick the one that YOU feel best fits your needs. I have checked all three of those mowers out just a few days ago, and they all seem to be pretty equal. But the best one in my opinion was the Scag. I like the fact that it is easy to work on, and it has a great air filter set-up. I am a big fan of a mower that is easily serviceable, and a dealer that will provide good service.

6. Flat Top Lawn

Flat Top Lawn LawnSite Member

I am also part-time. I started out with the tiger cub great machine for weekly mowings. the problem i have is, will it cut every yard that i need it to. i didn't think it would so i also bought a turf tiger 27/61 no problem on any yard yet. scag makes a 23/52 turf tiger with a drive shaft, that is what i would look at for those prices.

7. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Not to complicate things but, I considered all of those machines for a large residential lawn ... over a period of a year and ended up settling on a Toro Z-450, which is their brand new smaller frame ztr that comes with Toro's newer Turbo Force adjustable baffle deck. That's after looking objectively at all the features, but I agree that all of these machines are fairly similar and represent the best of the breed. If you are familiar with the Lazer HP, you will recognize some of the features of the z-400 series as they have a number of common components. As the other machines you are considering, it comes in a range of engine sizes and decks.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a tiger cub 20/48. I can say I am very pleased with it. I like how easy it is to service it also. Just today one of my competitors was mowing a commercial account beside me and he came over to look at my cub. He is all brand x and made the comment about the ammount of money that brand cost now. Says he may consider a scag after seeing the cut it left. I will say this , I have had to stop and clean out under the deck at times. This year the grass has had a lot of moisture in it and the deck plugs at times. I also have toro and deere mowers and they do the same but i think it is because of the conditions I have