tiger cub vs. wildcat (seat)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dakota2112, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide between a Tiger Cub 25hp kohler 52" and a Wildcat 26HP Kawasaki LC 61". As I understand it, the primary differences (besides engines & deck size) are:

• Wildcat has a wider stance (I like this for better cross-slope stability)

• Wildcat has hydraulic oil cooler

• Wildcat has an upgraded seat

I'm on the fence. I'm leaning towards the Tiger Cub mainly because of the price factor, but the one thing I'm most afraid of is actually the seat. Now based on just a brief test drive of both machines, I personally couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the seats. But I expect that the difference will become clearer after many hours in-the-seat. So to those who have experience with both machines, how would you rate the Tiger Cub seat vs the Wildcat seat?

Any other thoughts? I know LC engines have higher longevity but this will be primarily for my property and the inlaws next door (4 acres) so the Wildcat might be overkill except for the seat.

2. lawncare010

lawncare010 LawnSite Member

You need to get a life if you cant pick a mower just because of a seat. it is all part of the job to have a back ack at the end of the day. if you are that worried do the trimming and let your helper ride or just buy another seat

3. Integrity LC

Integrity LC LawnSite Member

If you read the whole post and stop jumping to conclusions, you would have read that he aid it is for his property and his inlaws. Unless he is a rich and likes doin his own work, I doubt he pays someone to help him cut his own lawn.

I would not make the choice on seat alone, you sat in both and could not feel a dramatic difference, so there probably isn't one. Go for the one that will suit you best mowing wise.

4. LawnBasher

LawnBasher LawnSite Member
    from GA

Just buy the nicer seat for the Tiger Cub if that's the one you like. It's not that much more money. We have the Wildcat you speak of and it is a fantastic unit. The LC Kawi is soo quiet and smooth. You can't go wrong with either one!

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 61" tiger cub and 52" wildcat. both powered by the air cooled kawi.

the oil cooler can be added later, the seat can be added later. the wider stance is not that great, no ZTR does cross hill stability that well any how, the front always wants to go down hill... the 52" deck is a great deck no scalping.

if you really wanted a nice seat, Id get the suspension seat. i had one on my lazer. it was great and Ive got a ruptured disc and I could cut all day long.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200268424_200268424

best 300 bucks you'll ever spend.

The LC will add to your annual maintenance. of coolant flushes.

Id go 52" wildcat air cooled (not one of your options I know) and upgrade the seat if you feel you need to.

6. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to say the same thing, just upgrade the seat man!

7. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

Ugh! I think I was being misled by the first dealer - he used the Wildcat seat as a selling point and I guess I thought he was trying to say it's a true suspension seat. I've since found out from a different (better) dealer that the Wildcat seat is in-fact not suspension, and isn't actually any better than the Cub's seat as I suspected all along. Also, they now tell me that the suspension seat doesn't fit the Wildcat or Cub anyways so that answers it. And I'm not jumping up to a TT just for the seat :rolleyes:

I might stick with the Cub unless they offer a really good deal on the Wildcat. Thanks for the feedback!

8. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

What an @$$.

9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can tell you this...The scag is a really nice piece of machinery, I really liked it when I did the demo, like someone else said you will not go wrong with either.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

trust me if you want suspension seat, you can make it fit...:)