1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TigerCub Striping Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Oliver1850, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

I have recently completed a striping kit for my Scag TigerCub using slotted, 1.5" angle and 5/16" chains.

Given the current dry conditions and shorter cutting height, I am real impressed with the chains ability to lay a more aggressive stripe.

Hopefully this posting aids others who are contemplating their own striping kit.

tigercub stripe.jpg
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Great work! Does that center rod help prevent the chains from tangling and also from getting too close to the drive wheels?
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The rod most likely keeps the chains from seperating and going all over the place (since they are soo long).

Are the chains hard on the already stressed grass? I dont worry about stripes when it gets this hot and dry.

Dont the chains make an ugly mess when you have to back up etc?

4. Oliver1850

Esby and Jimbo,

I have run my mower 3 days now and have not had any problems with the chains tangling. I added the threaded rod to help keep the chains on the turf and prevent them from hopping around. I figure the more the chains are on the ground the better and more consistent a stripe.

Yes the chains are a little longer than other homemade kits on this site, however, by installing behind the mower versus underneath I don't have to worry about tires, belts and clutches interfering. I was also able to reinforce the slotted angle by sandwiching it between the two frame pieces.

I used hot galvanized chain hoping it would keep a nicer appearance over the long run.
  5. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

What size chain did you use ?

How many links in each one ?

How far apart are the bolts that hold the chain ?

What size threaded rod did you use ?

It really looks good on the cub

6. Oliver1850

I used 5/16" chain, hot galvanized.

There are 12 links in each length.

The bolts are aprox. one inch apart, however, the pre drilled angle dictated where the bolts went. If you drill the holes yourself you can get the chains closer together.

The threaded rod is 1/4" diameter, 31" long.

I hope this helps. Thank's for the compliment.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Now, how about a picture of that striping action? :)