Tight Competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim163, Mar 21, 2006.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

It seems theres a 100 new lawncare companies every year in my area its actually a little discouraging.
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

But how many last? Stick it out and the slackers and lowballers will weed themselves out... :clapping:

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Alot of em do last,why because they are working a 40 hour week job and they say i want 10 to 20 yards as they call it to mow,cmon man it's the same every year.
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear that line every year. Must be aliens that keep sending down a new batch of slackers and lowballers.:laugh: :cry:
  5. Ric3077

Maybe it is aliens...some do last but most don't...I guess it depends on the location but...as competition keeps more and more, you will need to update your marketing plan...I mean there isn't really any one industry where you can just stick with what works year after year....most companies that make it are always looking into new ideas, new ways to market, etc...look at Pizza Hut, every 3 month they have a crust filled with something else...and pretty soon there will be tomatoe soda from coke and pepsi (not really but they have everything else) what I mean is the compitition should drive you and force you to become better so you FORCE them to either give up...or force them into a niche that you aren't in for example say you do all residential maybe you will force them to do only commercial...There are a TON of LCO's in my town and I only work in 2 towns with a combined population of about 150,000...that's plenty of business for everyone who works for it. Don't let them beat you over the head :hammerhead: instead you need to walk all over them! :walking:
  6. Ric3077

Also...it is important to educate your customers when you are giving a quote...a lot of people like to get 3 quote before they make a decision...if you can't make the sale in the first place...before you leave let them know to be careful who they select as "there are some slackers out there working with no liability insurance and Ms. Jones if that person were to his foot off on your property or fling a rock into your sons eye...you would be resposible. We are licensed and insured for your piece of mind." Most low ballers are kids in middle or high school cutting for $20 a yard or something. But if you remind them of the liablility...an extra $10 or so seems worth the piece of mind. Just an idea...
  7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a area that has maybe 80,000 people and just saw two adds in paper this past week one states that will mow anything under a half acre for 25 dollars no estimates and another states a acre and under 25 dollars now these are your lowballers / partimers that iam guessing dont claim any money at end of year and prob have no insurance , These are the people who bring our industy down to the lowest level ever , I havent mowed a half acre for 25 bucks for years and for me to drop the gate these days its a min of 30 bucks and thats a very very small lawn
  8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Just start turning them in. If they don't have commercial plates and hauling their lawn trailer turn them in. There not paying taxes turn them in. If they don't have insurance turn them in. There are fewer and fewer low ballers shutting down cause of the bigger company's are turning them in. The way fuel prices keep raising they won't last. Good luck this year to everyone!
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How do you know?
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe its different in your area but most of the residential customers here could careless if the guy cutting their lawn has insurance.