1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tight mowing schedules

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewHorizon's Land, Apr 7, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do when rain ruins the whole day of mowing and you have tight schedules? This is my first year with really tight schedules. I am going to have to mow 6 days a week and thats with out rain. Used to be Sat was for catch up but now I need an extra day in the week for that. Thanks for the help.

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you have too many customers. I would use Saturday for rain make-up days and if there were no rain that week for landscaping projects. Maybe even a day off..
  3. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

Mow rain or shine!
  4. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

It may be time to hire someone. If you don't you will be in trouble if it rains more than one day. Plus I like to get a day off, now and then. I have a guy starting on Monday. We will see how this works out.
  5. NewHorizon's Land

To all: Let me clear up. I bid work for two counties for the ball fields and other county buildings and property. I was awarded the one I live in early in the season. County next to me is a wealthier county. I bid on all 3 areas and got one a few days before the contract was to begin. I bid all of them where I can make money. I did not expect all of my residential customers to accept the price increases and was hoping to drop a few. They all agreed. I only have 53 locations to mow but the county parks are big. Smallest park is 5 acres and they go up to 20. I can not find anyone that is worth the pay they want. We mow when it rains as much as possible but some days we just cant. And days off are not looking promising. I am looking for an employee if anyone in my area knows someone.

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hire somebody or buy a 72" to knock out the parks
  7. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

mow your parks on fri and sat, that way you can find some short cuts there(trimming places every two weeks that dont get much exposure and you can start earlier and finish later)
  8. Why not? Is it just too wet and slimey or is the weather just too uncomfortable?

If it's the latter I'd recommend Gore-tex outfits. I picked up a couple of military surplus outfits at the flea market. Now no weather is too crappy to mow. I even got gore-tex boots.

But like Accuratelawn pointed out you seem a little light on equipment too.

Good luck

9. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Send out a price increase letter.. Most people wont care if u do a good job.. and incase u lose alot of houses then you are back to a 5 days cut week but still making the same amount of money.... If no one complains or cancels then you will just be making alot more money and can get another worker or another mower maybe???? Just throwing out some options
  10. NewHorizon's Land

Thanks guys. Accurate is right. A 72" is in the budget to buy in the next month +/-.
    David- too wet. You take a shower with water so whats the difference in getting a little wet by rain. (IMO) I know that it is uncomfortable but alot of times its just too wet to cut.
    I would like to know what do you actually do?

Thanks again