1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tightening Blade Bolts on Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I have had my Exmark 52" 23hp for about 3 or so weeks now and am planning on changing the blades today or tomorrow. It says that I should torque the bolts to 115 ft-lbs. or 120 ft-lbs. I can't remember. I don't have a torque wrench. Do all of you torque them down to these exact numbers or do you just tighten them up to about what you think? Is it really that important?

2. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I torque them to the required specs. i bet i am in the minority on this.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I tighten as tight as I can with a pull handle and a 1 foot pipe on the end of it.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

They don't need to be that tight...jus make em as tight as u con witha ratchet.

5. Fubba

I just talked to my dealer. He said that I should just tighten them as much as I can. They don't have to be exact. I'm guessing they were probably hit with a lawsuit from a blade coming out from under a deck because there is that sticker on the deck now. Thanks for the input though.

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We never used to torque to exact specifics, but we recently bought a torque wrench and now torque exactly, a good little investment. I think it was roughly $50 CDN.

The only problem we have now is getting the blades off easily, our compressor isn't powerful enough so we've been taking it to a friends which is a major PITA.

7. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

If you're tightening the nuts as tight as you can you are far exceeding the 120 spec.

Be sure to install the compression washers back on correctly. These help hold down the required torque.

8. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Tip: Buy yourself an electric impact wrench...it turns the job from an hour of hell to 10 minutes of hell....still hell mind you, but much less :)

My electric impact wrench torques to 240 ft/lb...so that's how much I tighten them.

9. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I've got one of those breaker type torque wrenches that I've set to 70 foot-pounds as per Ferris specs. Very simple to use. :)

10. Fubba

I've got an air compressor and impact wrench. I'll probably tighten them with a rachet then get them off with the wrench. The wrench might tighten them too much which may in turn shear the bolt.