Tighting those reigns (spelling?)

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 8, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK,

Had a customer stump me... I gave an estimate to a lady and she apparently doug out another organic guy in the area. There are more over in the area that she is. I think I lost her because of the answer I had for her question. But I also think that it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.

The question:
    "When you use the traditional chems in your Hybrid program... what is the harshest level of chems you use?"

What she was asking is how bad are the bad chems that you use. I didn't have an answer. She said that another company she talked with stated that they didn't use any chemicals harsher than that with the warning word "Caution". The lowest category.

Hmmm... It turned out that the chems I used were not above this cat. too but I didn't know that. The chems I figured were chems, doesn't matter what they are rated at, I am just getting the job done with the least amount possible.

So, What else can I regulate to that point. No, I can't get rid of the chems all together. I use them to help control out of control lawns. But only to the point that is absolutely needed. If they aren't needed, I don't use them. Even if it is easier, basically comes down to wether it is reasonable for me to do it by other methods.

Any thoughts?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Your answer should have been

"We customize our applications, every site may need something different. Some people just can't let go of a few weeds in their yard so we spot spray just the individual weeds, some people have moved into a home that has been neglected for a long time and we need to do many things, what the real question is, what do you want US to do to have a happy customer, that in the end is our job"

3. DeepGreenLawn

yeah, if I hadn't been working for the past 10 hours cooking in the sun I might had been able to pull that out. That is the majority of what I tell people, but this time I was just caught off gaurd. One plus though is I told her straight up that I had honestly not thought about the chems in that way, that I just do what I absolutely have to to get the lawn in shape so we won't have to ever worry about them again. I didn't pump her full of s*#& and I believe she appreciated that.

I will definitly be keeping in contact with her throughout though.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Its called consultative selling, they consider you a consultant that they can tell you their experiences and you can work with them to the end result

5. DeepGreenLawn

thats one of my big things, I don't have to sell them anything, if they want to do the work and have me walk them through it then great. No problem. Information is free as far as I am concerned.