tightwad customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Robert S, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

any one got any horror storys about tight customers.aks lowballers delight.lol..:usflag:

2. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

i had on wanted me to work at a rate of 6 dollers a hour.geeez.what are they thinking .time and tools are free

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a customer who called me to mow 2 days after a hurricane. Said her yard was dry and nothing laying in the yard and it was mowed last week, about 1/4 acre but 25 mins away. So I quote $50 over the phone says ok so I load up and when I get there it hasn't been mowed in a month and at first I could only see a few things in the yard to be picked up. Since I drove that far I figured just do it for the money and go. So I ask her to please pick up anything in the yard for me to hit. She says ok picks up a garden hose and a kids bike and goes inside. I almost got stuck once outside her fence, and when I get to the inside there's piles of sticks and sh*t so I just mow around them. Trim blow get ready to go and ask for my money and she has the damn nerve to ask why I didn't mow over the sticks and crap. I try and tell her I asked her once to pick up and she didn't. So now she asks me if she moves them will I get my mower off the trailer and do it. I tell her no cause one I worked for over an hour it was 95degrees in the middle of the day and I had others to do. So she tells me to stop be bitchie!!! So I tell her not to worry about I'll write her plate number down and just get the military involved like we've done before. She freaks out and keeps running her mouth until I finally I leave without my money. What a FU$*@#* B*%&#!!!! Now I won't mow for the military unless there an officer or I get paid up front too many more bad expierences.

4. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

lol. i know what you mean.some people can be a pain in the arsse

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

2 come to mind.
    Years ago i was charging this elderly lady per cut. When i finished i would go to her to collect my money. She always would tell me i finished to fast and go in her yard and find something else to do.
    Another person, after i was done and i went to collect from them said, please pull the weeds in my flower bed, i said ok. I finished, about 30 min of work. went to get my check, all he paid me for was the grass cut. I told him it would be an extra 30 dollars for the weeds. He said, what, it only took you 30 minutes. I had a pair of the hand pruners on me with the spring in them. i poped them open and told the guy, see that? I charge 10.00 just for that. I walked away and never went back.

6. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

lol. even in carpentry work and painting some customers try to run stuff in on you

7. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

when they start that automaticly say that will be extra

8. Brick One Lawns

Brick One Lawns LawnSite Member

I did an estimate over the phone for a guy because he needed it quickly. I go to his house, call him up.. said it'd be $175 to pressure wash it. He had a mold problem on the northern side of his house and asked if I could wash the mold off. I said yea, but you're going to have to seal your trim around the windows because this looks like it's just going to come back. He made sure I wasn't using harsh chemicals or bleach because he had just put in a new flower bed. I said no, in fact there are only 2 companies right now using this house wash that is 100% pet/plant safe in the area and I am one of them. He says great, when can you be out to do it. I said well 3 day guarantee puts it by tuesday afternoon. I'll be there tuesday morning between 8 and 10. "okay great". Get there, his wife says oh good you're here. Do i have to do anything inside... I said no just listen to some noise for a bit. Cleaned his house in about 2hrs. She said oh great it looks awesome. Ask her if she wants to pay or be billed, she said ummm i'll write a check then comes out and says nah i'm going to wait on my husband he didn't answer his phone. I said okay no problem, here's your invoice. Thanks have a nice day. Well dude never paid. I send him a letter saying hey you need to pay your bill real polite like. He calls a week after that and says this was the 3rd time calling and he never said he was going to go ahead and have me do the work but since it was done we could work something out. But that there was mold still on the front of his house and my guys didn't do a good job. I just knew where this was going. He wanted me to pressure wash it again because he didn't fix his problem of mold growing. I had already did his walkway for free. I just said **** it... keep your money, not worth my effort

9. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

the nerve of some people.

10. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

wow i woulda broken his car window or something haha