Tiller advice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mobileboy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

What do you guys suggest as far as a good tiller brand. need a 5 hp front tine tiller and would like to hear about brand experiences. I want to have this thing for a long long time. Thanks!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Why on earth would you want a front tine ? [​IMG]

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Front tine tillers are going to rattle your fillings loose.
    If you insist, the only good one (IMHO) is Honda, if they still make it.

For a rear tine, you still can't go wrong with the Troy Bilt. (Horse models only).
    Troy Bily has been acquired by MTD, but they kept the tooling for the horse the same as it was "back in the day".

4. mobileboy

Front tine? Need to get into tight spaces & need to get this thing on a budget. The rear tines are great! I've used them both, but the rear tines are soo expensive...I need something in the 'used for 200 dollars' range.

5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah. All you're going to get for $200.00 is a headache looking through the Bargain News. $200.00 will get you a parts machine, or a POS that I wouldn't sell to my worst enemy.

6. mobileboy

Bought two tillers in 5 days! Found a 9.0 torque rated craftsman front tine for 115 dollars off, then found a nice troy-built horse rear tine for 300 dollars (love both of 'em) Thanks for the advice all.