Tiller recommendations.......

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chrisexv6, Apr 15, 2005.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Looking to purchase a tiller (tired of borrowing someone elses at least 2x/yr), but Im not sure which way to go.

Most of the use would be for re-tilling garden/flower beds every year. However, I would also occasionally need it to hit some untilled ground (always something different to do in the yard!)

Ive used a front-tine before, and while it worked well, I hated feeling thrown around by it (hitting rocks, roots, etc). I saw a Troy-Bilt Tuffy rear-tine CRT model at Lowes, but wasnt sure that would be able to handle both chores (small work like the flower beds, and larger work like untilled ground). Its only 4HP, so I wasnt sure it was really meant for larger projects (although Troy-Bilts website says it is, taken with a grain of salt).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Chris

2. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

rent one and try it

3. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Well, on an impulse, I went out and purchased the Echo mini-tiller. After much thought, I realized that the need for a large tiller wouldnt be enough compared to dealing with fighting it just to till up the wifes flower/garden beds.

For the larger tilling jobs, Ill just rent a tiller.

FWIW, just ran the Echo and was able to till up a 4'x20' area in very little time. It had been tilled once before (1.5 years ago), but the Echo went thru it pretty much like butter. I was VERY impressed. The i-Start feature is pretty neat too, this is definitely a machine that my wife can use completely by herself.

-Chris