1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tiller vs power rake on mini skid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by alexschultz1, Jun 30, 2013.

1. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

So I can buy a tiller for almost 2k less than a Harley rake. For prepping and grading a lawn couldn't I just use a tiller and leveler instead of a rake?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

The Harley rake removes all of the crap in neat piles and tills and grades in one step.

3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah but is that really worth $2000?

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Only you can answer that. How much work do you have for it? What's it worth to haul around 1 attachment instead of two? What's it worth to finish in an hour instead of a half day?

5. JimMac

JimMac LawnSite Member

I own a tiller and a rockaway..the rockaway is a cost alternative to the rockhound. It works the same way, with mining teeth on a roller that loosens the earth 2 inches and throws most of the rocks into your bucket. I use the tiller to loosen 6 inches, then switch to the rockaway. The outer edge also smoothes to a finish. Its a great combo. I paid 5g for the rockaway, sure beats 10g for the rockhound. I paid about 4g for the tiller (Altec). This combo kicks ass.
    Posted via Mobile Device