1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tilling back lawn.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Green Acres, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wants me to till up his back lawn so he can seed it. The question is how much should I charge? I will have to use a walk behind tiller since his gate is not big enough for my tractor. It is about 2500 sqft and is flat but has about 8 trees to go around. Thanks
  2. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

for 2500 sq/ft I would charge about 300-350 depending on conditions (slopes, hills, grades, rocks, how soft or hard the soil is) and that would be with no seed prep (raking, shoveling, leveling) if hes going to seed then he would probably want you to prep the seed beds for him.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how dead you planning to till? how big are the trees and what type? you might be wasting yours and his time.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Tilling is the last thing you want to do to it if you're planning on seeding it. As good of n idea as it may seem, it really isn't. It becomes too soft, most of the time becoming uneven and rough after it all settles, but most of all - you stir up hundreds and perhaps thousands of weed seeds that are totally unnecessary to stir up. All that needs to be worked up (scratched up) is the very top surface - about a half inch deep, ultimately.