1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bladewielder, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

I am thinking about adding garden tilling to my services as a lawn care business. Is it even practical to do with a walk-behind tiller (Troy-Built for example), or should a guy have a compact tractor with a PTO-powered tiller?
  2. Well if you have money to burn then the tractor would be great, but usually Mrs. Jones garden has plants you can't always till.

Need something about the size of the Troy Built you said.

I do some tilling with an old' but good tiller, for some clients.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

For garden and ditch repairs < 1000 sqft our troybilt is great. We do less gardens every year. Too busy at that time of year.
  4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes go for it. I do it with a front tine most lil old ladys just want a small spot for some vegies.
  5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Add it the troy built will be good for small beds + areas.

The other is for the big areas.
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Troy Bilt super bronco 6.5 hp. I bought it 2 years ago to use at home. It's super once the ground is broken because you can stand to the side and not leave foot prints. However, it takes forever to break new ground because the tines on my unit do not counter rotate. I helped out the old man across the street last year and his rear tine tiller was counter rotating and it RIPPED thrugh unbroken ground like it was jello. If I were going to do this for a money, I'd get somethng that could break the ground fast. On the other hand, If you're going to come back on a weekly basis and till between the rows the Troy Bilt is the model to use because you can stand to the side and it has the attachments to throw the dirt up on the plants. Go with the Pony or Horse models if you can, they have more attachments.
  7. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

My money is on the BCS tiller line. Without a doubt the best tiller I have ever used. Try one at the local rental yard if posible. They have Honda engines and are extreamly easy to operate. The only drawback is; They Are Pricey.......
  8. TSS

TSS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sounds like tilling could be a good up sale. How do you charge for this service?
  9. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i agree tractors for big areas only. i would charge by the hour and base ur price according the ground conditions and amount of obstacles.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I got a steal on a Troybilt Horse for $550 years ago. I bought this for my personal garden. I offer tilling as a service, but have only done this once in the last 2 years. Not a real money maker for me.