Timber bridges

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lite4, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

These are a couple of bridges I built about 11 years ago. Same time and same development as the timber entryway. I built a total of 12 of these bridges around the 500 acre property for pedestrian and equestrian travel. These babies were tough, I could drive the pictured skid steer across them without any problems all day long. You never see any pics of me as I was the only field employee and most always worked alone unless I needed a hand with something. My wife snapped some pics of me on one of her trips up to visit me. Enjoy

This first set: These pics are a sequence of two bridges that were about 2000' apart. We had poured the concrete piers 2 weeks prior to this point. Also notice the 1" ready bolt coming out of the top. We will need those to attach our log girders.

2. Lite4

Log girders are notched and attatched to the piers.

4"x10" planks are attatched to the logs.

I fabbed and painted the brackets you see being used for the post and railing supports. It took me about 2 days of cutting, welding and painting to get brackets for 1 bridge completed. Those were fun shop days. I love welding!

3. Lite4

The rail assembly is finished. and the bridges are stained.

Me standing on the lower bridge.

4. Lite4

The upper bridge completed. I was pretty happy with how these turned out. They are still there and working great for the horse traffic on the trails. I built about 5 miles of 10' wide road grade equestrian trails throughout the park and all the properties.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Nice work. Looks like a really fun project.
  6. Lite4

Thanks, The whole project was a really unique opportunity. This development is about an hours drive north out of Boise. It was so quiet and peaceful everyday. The only sound I heard was the the ocassional bird and the wind in the pine trees.
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have always enjoyed that county North of Boise. One of my dad's cousins lived in Salmon for quite a while.
  8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice bridges! Beautiful country up there!
  9. Fiano Landscapes

Fiano Landscapes LawnSite Member

Very nice work! Wow! What a nice place to work for a few days. Hopefully our next project is in as cool as a place as this one.
  10. Lite4

I actually spent 3 straight years up there working on that project. I was the only employee, so the owner and I did everything. All the underground, all the access roads throughout the 500 acre property, equestrian trails (about 5 miles), 2 model log homes constructed, cutting timber and clearing homesites, bridges, a 5 acre park with ponds and 2 large timber pavilion structures, all the common area irrigation and landscaping, welding, maintaining all of the trucks and heavy equipment, plus all the little incidentals inbetween. This was such a fun project and the owner became like a father to me. It was such a great experience. I worked for him for 7 years but I was married and had a new baby and needed to make more than 10.50 an hour. That has been about 9 years since I left that company.