Timber walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Dec 17, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I've installed a couple decent size walls since going into business for myself but have eye balled them with contractors for a price. I do not have a range of pricing per face foot.

Techo or Belgard etc $20 per face foot ft+

Based on what ya'll have done does $15 per face ft+ sound about right? Obviously there are site conditions but I'm putting things together for a firmer more consistant way of estimating and bidding as I will be sending someone other than myself all the tiem to do proposals.

What ranges have you seen?

I'm in the northern VA area.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Appears you are referring to 'unit pricing'.

Unit Pricing is a big NO NO.

I respectfully suggest that you do a search on my user name, and you will find a few write ups from me explaining why unit pricing is not a good idea.

To answer your question - our walls average from as low as $26 / sf - $50 / sf. So many variables will affect the scope of each job.

$15 / SF is way too low. About 5 years ago the average was $20.

NOTE: I used the word "average".

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I would agree that $15/ft is too low.

When we're doing Techo, it's usually $30-$40ft

That said, I figure the labor and materials required to do the job, then out of curiosity, figure out what it is per sq ft.

I believe we had some work that ended up being over $50 ft. this year

4. tthomass

from N. VA

The Techo walls yes.........more $

TIMBER walls is where my question is.

The two I've done since working for myself I did relatively cheap due to knowing the contractor and getting lots of work from him. Now that I will be sending someone out to help with sales I want to try and establish some sort of a guide line until they are familar enough to do better pricing.

Only for example:

Front yard, easy access $5ft

Back yard, steps/hill $10ft

Back yard no access $20ft

Just a basis of some sort for which to teach. So I have not done many timber walls since being in business for myself and am trying to see a comparison example vs say a Techo wall.

I am confident that I can price out a Techo wall but I'm not real sure how timbers compare. I know not to use a set price as you can really screw yourself but such pricing can be useful as a reference tool only.

5. GreenMonster

from NH

Before I decided to not even offer, or bid on timber walls, I was finding that you could build an SRW out of inexpensive block (anchor, allan, maybe versa split face units) almost as cheap.

I don't like doing them, and even nicely built ones still look cheezy to me. Plus, they're timber, plan on replacing in 10-20 years.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd want to get "around" $20/ft if I were to build em.

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Now, Now Mark, Ab isnt a cheap system:hammerhead: What is the specs and price per block on the techo you have been telling me about. Looking at a responce you had on another thread im looking at this spring buying a new bobcat 220, steel tracks, and 6 way blade. Im going to keep my 185 for a second machine. Im not sold on the rubber track models in my area of hard shale and rocks. The 220 has arms like the old 763 which makes it easier grading but still has a tipping capacity of 2200 lbs which means i can move a skid of block without removing the top row.
    Mike

7. tthomass

from N. VA

I prefer block walls over timber but when you do get the customer that has their heart set on timber I'll know how to price it better.

One comparison I do a lot of times is take into account how much time I think it will take and compare those $ man hours to the price of the job and see where they are before determining final price.

8. GreenMonster

from NH

By cheap Mike, I mean inexpensive. AB split face stretchers are what.... about $5 s.f.? Up here, Anchor and Versa are a little more.

Tumbed AB is about $12 s.f. Techo Quarry Stone is about $13-$14......

ah, 6 way blade. Cool.

We'll see how next year goes. I might find a used wheeled machine (S220, S250) with a set of steel tracks as the second machine.

Do you have a mini x for excavating footers?

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

In laymans term what do you per block for techo? I pay $6.05 for ab stone. No i use 709 hoe attachment and i have some things maybe happening good right now if it works i am also going to buy a mini. I either looking at the 331 or the 420 zero swing. But the 220 bobcat will be the first thing and a guarantee. My 02 s185 has 1700 hours just put a battery in fri, and in oct. i spent 2200 in the chaincase. With the capital gains tax i just going to keep it for second machine. I have been kicking that idea around anyway, my employee is a good operater a now we both can be operating.
    Mike

10. GreenMonster

from NH

ok, well each AB stretcher is almost 1 s.f., so you're paying $6 s.f. Techo Creta is about twice that, and Quarry Stone a little more.

New or used mini?