Timbren Load Boosters

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jason r., Feb 8, 2003.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

My truck sags pretty bad in the back end when I hook up my trailer and was looking for a solution. I know nothing about truck suspension, so I'm hoping someone can suggest something for me to try. The truck is a 78'F-150 w/ 400cu. Got alot of pulling power it just sags like a old lady in the back end!

Just got an AWDIRECT catalog in and seen a kit for $150 made by Timbren(load boosters). Anyone have any experience with these? Or would you recommend somthin else.

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

recently installed a set of Firestone helper air springs on my 2001 Silverado 2500 hd - what I like about them is that they are adjustable (air pressure), also got them from 'AwDirect'.
    BobR

3. jason r.

Sorry, Mr. Moderator, for posting in the wrong forum! BobR, did you install it yourself? If so, was it easy? Also, did they accomplish what you hoped?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Timbrens are stronger because they go between the frame and axle so when the load is placed on the truck the strain goes to the axle and frame hump. Personally I don't like those airbags with timbrens they are damn near maintanance free install them and forget about them. Weak springs will just keep on sagging and end up braking the only perminant fix is replace the rear springs with new.

5. jason r.

gravel rat

The Timbrens look like the way I'll go. They look pretty easy to install too. Might need to get some new rear springs also. The truck is old but was restored by the previous owner so I'd like to put the finishing touches on it. It'll be a great work truck once the sagging thing gets taken care of.

Anyone else have any pro's or con's on the Timbrens?

6. BobR

Directions were great, all the parts fit, running the air lines is a bit of a pain. End result is what I was looking for (as the truck load increases I can keep the truck & trailer level by increasing the air pressure).. This system probably is not for everyone but it rows my boat..
    BobR

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't had any experience with air adjustable since the 70s when we used air shocks to jack up the back of our cars to look oh so cool. (Miss those about as much as I miss the big hair, mood ring, silk shirt opened to the navel and 5 inch fence hopping shoes) Have used regular helper springs on older trucks with good results. For your year they start at at about 35 dollars and work their way up to 60 or so. Also you can get replacement rear leafs for about 130.:D

8. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I got a very similar problem, not as bad, yet with my 2001 f-150, was wondering what would be suggested for that and $$. Was thinking of the air bags but which ones and what compressor is suggested along with $$.

Thanks

9. BobR

JCWhitney - Firestone system + compressor just under $450.

BobR

10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member