1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time between Mower Blade Sharpenings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Apr 7, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I usually just keep an eye on my blades and sharpen them when I think they need it...but have been curious if anyone else does it differently. Has anyone noticed a certain number of hours they go before they sharpen blades? I know it really depends on what type of grass you're cutting, but is their a time frame to go by as a reference? This is just something I was thinking about and thought it would be interesting to get some others input.

2. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

On average I sharpen every 12 hours.
  3. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Part of my routein each morning is sharpening the blades on all my mowers. Sharp blades cut better, are easier on the mower, and it increases productivity.
  4. tierralawn

tierralawn LawnSite Member

sharpen,every five hr.
  5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

If ya hit a rock.....Sharpen em right away. If yer cuttin wet grass all day, sharpen em before ya cut again. If yer just cuttin, use em 2 days, then sharpen em.....
  6. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

for us its about every 8 hours of mowing time. This is in Tall fescue with some bermuda.
  7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We try to sharpen ours every 2-3 days unless something happens to them (such as us hitting rocks, etc). I don't think there is any certain time frame that is best to sharpen them, just look at them and you should be able to tell when the best time is.
  8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Tell ya what......If ya engage the blades...Stick yer finger under the deck, an it comes back missin. They wont need sharpenin for at least another day..... ; )
  9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Clean underside of deck daily (or as needed). sharp blades put on after each days use. Routine maintenance.

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I do the same as Bob R....after each day.