Time changes thinking

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Just some random thoughts about being in business 10+ years.

Things that used to really get under my skin (like a complaining customer) don't even seem to faze me anymore. Not that I don't care, but rather I have learned how to quickly resolve this type of situation, and put it behind me.

Looking for work seems like such a long time ago. I can't imagine going out and doing flyers like we used to. Funny how things change so quickly. I think once a business gets to a certain point, there is no holding it back. It grows legs and starts to run on its own.

Employees will come and go. I used to think I needed certain employees around, until I had enough of their BS and hired other guys who were just as good, or better.

Basically, I think a business is just like anything else. Over time comes experience. Past unsuccessful situations teach you for the next time around. Before long, you get the feeling that you no longer need the experience, as you have experienced the same situations time and time again, and know how to handle them to your best benefit.

Anyone know where I'm coming from?

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

It is called, getting older and wiser.

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, and thicker skin.