Time Check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by regnort, Sep 9, 2002.

1. regnort

regnort LawnSite Member

Alright guys I know it will be hard to answer this question without seeing the property, but here goes. I cut a school that has approx 8 acres of cutting ( this doesn't include the buildings and parking lot. There are alot of sidewalks and I trim, edge, and blow down the sidewalks every cut. I spend about 2 hrs trimming and edging, and that hasn't changed since I started maintaninng this property. Today I cut and finished in 4hrs 45 min. The first time I cut it took about 6hrs 30 min and has dropped every time. I know the guy who cut this property before and he says they had 14 to 16 man hours every cut (there were actually two of them). I know the quality is better, I have had nothing but compliments from the faculty and parents. I cut with a 60" Z-Two and try to pay special attention to the pattern on the 2 soccer fields during the season. My question is does 5 hours sound about right for this size property. I bid it at eight hours after talking with the guy I mentioned earlier I thought I had really screwed up, but I am doing better than expected now. sorry for the long post. :dizzy:

2. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

need more info , how much are you charging , from what I gather you are solo ,what is your cost per man hour?

3. regnort

regnort LawnSite Member

I have to make $35 an hour for a decent profit. Yes I am a solo and cut 3 days a week. I bid it at $280 a cut for just maintanence and charge for extras. I did spray the fence lines on the back side of the property but that was for my benefit. The hard part is sitting on the mower for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I'm used to riding all day, just not that long straight.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a hunch, but i would say you could stand to raise your hourly rate a good $10 or more considering that you are using a 60" ZTR. Your price may be one reason why the school is so excited about your work. Great work at an incredible price usually gets some parents fired up.

5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Well you said you cut it in 4.75 hrs so that is about $59/hr. That sounds just about perfect. I like to make min $50/hr at the job site. $35/hr seems low but then again it is all relative to your location.