time estimate help please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 29, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

im putting together an estimate to redo someones backyard. They want it seeded and they don't want any loam brought in the ammend soil. All vegitation back there has been killed off. What i need to do is shallow till up the back, rack the area flat, spread grass seed, starter fert(i know i don't have my fert license), put down straw, and set up watering system for them. It is approximatly 2k square feet of pretty flat area with several large craters dug from the dog they used to have that would need to be racked out smooth. using my mantis tiller, how long would you expect this to take? The ground isn't very compacted at all and roots will not be a problem at all....

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    mike

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never tilled a yard since i have a bobcat, 2k is pretty small but thinking using a tiller might take some time though. I think complete job i would allow all day or estimate 8 hours, 20 lb. of seed, bag of pellet. lime, 15 lbs of starter fertlizer, 6 bales of straw. Have enough material with you so you have plenty and dont spend time running back to store.
    Mike

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

awsome, thank you, great advice, ill deffinatly use that for the estimate!!! i really appreciate that and it makes a lot of sense!

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like i said i never tilled before, you might takse someone elses advise also.
    Mike

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I just did 7000ft2 today + 1 employee...........took 8man hrs

not the same as yours but we did this:

spread 5yrds compost (broadcast) by hand
    aeration
    lime starter fert
    seed

now in your situation maybe you just need to rent a sod cutter, then seed