1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Time Estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Forever Green Landscaping, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Forever Green Landscaping

Forever Green Landscaping LawnSite Member

I can usually estimate on my own without having to ask on here but this is a little different.

How long would it take 2 guys to dig a 4'x4'x4' hole for a catch basin from gutter and sump pump?
    I was hoping to use the labor to prevent running a machine across the lawn and tearing it up.

2. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Honestly, it is going to depend on the type of soil your trying to dig through. I actually just did the same thing for a customer last month, took me about an hour by myself but had ideal soil conditions to dig by hand. If you have clay or rookie soil, going to take a lot longer. Sandy conditions could also increase time due to may have small cave ins.

Hope this helps...

3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I use a sub with a mini that has pads and only excerts 70lbs per square inch....just leaves a little indentation...worth the cost...hand digging sucks!