Time for a blowout kit

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MAJMattMason, Oct 8, 2006.

1. MAJMattMason

MAJMattMason LawnSite Member
    from GA

PJ,

I think I'm ready for a blowout kit on my 72" XR7. After cutting the grass yesterday, I was utterly covered in grass coming directly from in front of me from the deck. When I'm finished mowing the five acres, the deck looks like it's wearing camoflauge, I'm covered in grass and dirt. It's so bad that I'm having to hold my breath and close my eyes, something I don't think I'm able to do for five acres worth of grass. No, it wasn't windy yesterday. I have to take my Stihl blower and blow off the deck before parking it in the garage so it doesn't deposit a load that rode in on the deck. As I'm sitting here typing, I'm having to clear out the junk from my eyes from yesterday's session. It's bad.

I love everything else about the mower, but really don't like to become one with the lawn in this fashion. This really needs to be fixed. My dealer is Terry's Tool and Equipment rental in Cumming, GA.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Are you mulching by chance?
    Either way sounds like you need a air control kit (blowout kit), this will take care of what your dealing with.
    Here is the information.
    Kit, 72" XR-7 Air Control part # 107638 MSRP $113.00

Pj

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it dust some mowers are bad tell us more.

4. MAJMattMason

from GA

Not mulching, just regular mowing, and would you please describe the part. Also, if you don't mind my asking, wasn't this something that Hustler was taking care of for their customers?

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

This kit basically stops the roll out of air from the front of the deck.
    It bolts in the front of the deck.
    Some need it, some don't.
    This is not the same as the air lift kit that some guys are installing to take care of cut quality issues.
    We have always offered a blow out type kit for our mowers, they need to be installed in some conditions to prevent what is happening in your case, and especially with mulch kits and catchers.

Pj

6. MAJMattMason

from GA

OK, thanks. I've already spoken with the folks at Terry's about the part and they're checking into it. When you say it bolts onto the front, does that mean they have to drill holes into the front of the deck?

7. MAJMattMason

from GA

PJ,

I took a look at another blowout kit Hustler supplies and it looks an awful lot like what is already on my XR7 deck in front. Two triangle shaped plates that are under the deck in between the three blades. Is this what the blowout kit is like for the 72" XR7 deck or is it something different?

8. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

The kit that controlls the air and lift in certain grass conditions, may also help you eliminate blow out. Both drop the front edge of the deck lower and lower the deck baffle below the blade tip. Talk to you dealer and see if this would help you better than the blow out kit PJ is discribing.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The holes are already there to bolt it in.
    The deck is designed to have this kit bolted in.

Pj

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is different.