Time for a new mower. Scag or exmark......?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright guys, I'm sure most of you know me by the kid who has all the trouble with lawn mowers, especially that toro that sucked ass.

It's time to get a new mower and use this scag walkbehind as a back up. My two choices are:

2008 exmark lazer z AS 52" ultracut w/ 28hp kawi for $8200 + tax

2009 scag wildcat 52" velocity plus w/ 25hp kawi for $8000 OTD

How are the prices on these? I feel like the exmark is a little high on the price only because it's an '08 model... I don't know which one to pick. I have a few hills that i cut, and I cut alot of thick/ lush fescue and then some Bermuda later on in the summer.

The exmark dealer is great, but the scag dealer is just alright. I want the exmark, but the price tag and the doubt of that this mower might not fit my business is holding me back. What should I get?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Demo both and see which one you like better.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm partial to Scag. They cut fescue and other northern grasses very well. The Exmark will too. Look at the Tiger Cat as well. They can be had for a good price.

4. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright. Thanks!!

5. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Exmark, it is a bit smoother in ride and has a slightly superior cut IMO, but scag does indeed have more durability. If you are an owner operator the ExMark would work for you as it is very durable too, but it is pricey.

6. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

It depends on the lawn mowing your doing. I like the larger engine and I also own an AS and have owned a wildcat with a HP. The scag will cut thicker taller grass better than the exmark. If you do weekly mowing than the exmark is the winner......says my initial thoughts but I think that may change in this situation due to the engine size difference. But I will let it be said that a scag will typically provide a better first cut on thicker lawns than a comparable exmark.

Scag- Handles thick grass well. I think its slightly under powered. Will hold hills much better than exmark any day (wildcat vs AS)

Exmark- Better cut, front end is a bit tipsy (I put a weight kit on the front and much better now) More HP which is a wonderful thing. The AS is slightly faster with larger hydro pumps so it feels a bit jerky but I personally like how responsive it is over the scag, scags dampers are stiff.

7. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of people like Scag for side discharge and Exmark for mulching.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't used either one but why not get the scag since you already have a scag wb? That way you will only need to go to one dealer for everything instead of two. I have heard good things about both so you know you will be getting a good mower.

9. bryansong

bryansong LawnSite Member

Nice idea Brad

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I can't imagine a 52" deck on a large frame Z. Go for a 60" and save some trimming. Of course I don't know your circumstances but I couldn't stand not having a little extra deck on the trim side. They are right the Exmark is better for standard cutting and the Scag handles wet heavy growth better.