Time For A New Sending Unit

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FearThisDeere, May 24, 2006.

1. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I need a new sending unit for the 1987 Dodge Ram. How much am I looking at spending and how hard is it to change? I am fairly mechanical and have a friend that is very mechanical. Any tips or suggestions would be helful!

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Sending unit for what? There are a few on your truck.

3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

if its the oil sending unit, and its on a cummins, its fairly easy BUT you need a special socket. its real deep. i have one.

4. FearThisDeere

Whoops, sorry I typed that post too fast. I need a new sending unit for the gas tank. It sits right up on top of it, so I know I'll have to drop the tank. It is for a 318 gasser.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Removed.............

I typed a great response... that applies to '94 and up.:hammerhead:

6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

depending on how rusty everything is and if you have access to a lift, it may be easier to remove the bed bolts and raise the bed up, we do that alot at my shop when all the stalls are full. just drag an air hose into the parking lot for the 1/2 impact and go to town. good luck :weightlifter:

7. funkigreasemonki

funkigreasemonki LawnSite Member
    from NY

If your dropping the tank, the less gas in it the better. Remember that gas sloshes, so if the tank starts to tip, all the gas will run to the lowest side, and get very heavy on that side very fast. If you can, get a buddy to help, also try to use two transmission jacks if you have access, and strap the tank to them to help keep the tank from getting goofy. Also spray the heck out of the bolts on the sending unit with good penetrating lube, and let it sit, as they are probably good and rusted, it is quite a pain if one of them breaks off.

8. FearThisDeere

Good advise. I have a 12V pump to get all the gas out. I had just filled it up. There is about 23 gallon or so in there. This is probably a cause to the stalling out I have been having recently, right?

9. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

on chevys, removing the bed is the way its mostly done. lift it up and move it back.

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

fuel sending unit will not cause your truck to stall. fuel pump may but they uasally work or they dont.