Time For A New Trailer. Lets Discuss

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DSLND, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, So I'm ready for a new trailer.... well I'm overdue for one.

Here is what I will be hauling on a daily basis:

Lesco 48" WB
    Lesco 32" WB
    Toro Pro-Line 21"
    STIHL FS 110, FC 110, BR 550, BG 85, HS 45
    Two Grass Gobblers; One Sulky; Garbage Can; Traffic Cones;

I have two TrimmerTrap racks, one backpack blower, and one for three trimmers. Also have one for handtools. A landscape basket will be added soon.

I'm really not into the whole enclosed trailer anymore, I honestly don't have room in my budget and I need to invest in other equipment.

I have a budget of $2k.

I want a side gate!

Dual Axle, Brakes

I really can't get anything over 16', just too big for my route.

Pulled with a Chevy 3/4 Ton Truck:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

I would like to hear some opinions/options.

2. Cashio13

Cashio13 LawnSite Member

I would say try 2 things:
    1) Check out your local trailer shop. I know my shop has a 16ft trailer for $2195...a little over 2k but they are a smaller shop so they make up with it in prices.
    2) Check on Craigslist...i have seen MANY, nice, 16ft trailers for around 2k.
    Good luck, hope to see some pictures of the finished product.
  3. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well you just said it. You should be able to find a decent tandem axle 16 footer anywhere. Now, it maybe a little more money for something nice, like a PJ Trailer.
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It shouldnt be to hard, but your not going to get any brakes if you want em. I just bought my 16ft off craigslist for 1100. a ramp gate would cost me about 150-200 and a side gate prob the same. so its doable. craigslist would be the best place to start.
  5. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

i would go for big tex / load trail. those seem to be holding up the best from what i see in my area. (not really many pj's around me). New 14' big tex 70tv (2ft solid steel sides) double axle brakes on both axles was running right at $3500 tax & title this spring by me. reglar open style was somewhere in the low 2's. I would start with craigslist like others have said.
  6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i would get a 16' trailer. good working size so you dont have to worry as much about logistics when planning your day. i think it's going to be close getting a 16' trailer w/ a side gate new for 2k. i would imagine about $2,200. and a gage will run you about $500.

i bought a brand new, 6x16 open trailer, dual brakes, rear ramp, cage, trimmer racks for about 2k. i have dual 3500lb axles and love the trailer. much easier to work from than an enclosed trailer imo. brakes are a must though, you wil love em once you try them for the 1st time.
  7. DSLND

Thanks for all of the comments.

I have had good luck with my previous Carry-On, what are your opinions on them?

8. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i think they are too lightweight. especially on the larger trailers. around they are waaaay overpriced. it costs more for a6x16 carry-on than one from the bigger trailer manufacturers.
  9. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never been too impressed with carry on trailers. i think there are better brands out there for you mitch.
  10. DSLND

So I just got off the phone with a dealer.

He carries Load-Trail, which I have been impressed with.

Heres what I came up with:

77x14 Tandem Axle Landscape Trailer
    2ft Mesh Sides
    Side Gate
    Brakes on BOTH Axles

Landscape Box Can Be Added For $300.

I didn't think that those prices were out of line. I'd like to purchase a NEW trailer, not a fan of really buying used stuff, being I need something that is warranted, and is not likely to break on me.

It is a two hour drive from my house, but he's the closest dealer.