1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time for a price check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chesterlawn, May 5, 2008.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just gave a lady a price for a small mulch job. There is 1/2 hour of weeding no clean-up and 5 yards max. of mulch. I priced it at $525, a $100 per yard of mulch and 25 for gas. She called back and said that is a very fair price and does that include the mulch? I told her yes, well I guess it's time to raise prices.
  2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get that price great. I would think it would be high. Mulch around here goes for 50-75 per yard installed.
  3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds good to me that what i go with 100 bucks a yard then if theres clean up stuff to do while i am there i kick it up alittle more.
  4. chesterlawn

I didn't think it was high, thats kind of the going rate that I've been getting, but when she asked if includes the price of the mulch I was surprised. I guess money is not affecting people in my area, Im great full to be in the area I'm located,
  5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

yeah, I'm in your area and it's great to hit those numbers.
  6. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

3x materials is a pretty foolproof bidding method.

If you are selling every bid you make, your prices are too low. JMO.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah same here, I guess the prices really do vary from one region to the next.
  8. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

I would have charged her 420
  9. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

just ran an estimate for that same stuff just to check my price from youres and came to $535 without weeding , with weeding, $570.
  10. chesterlawn

I also did a job 2 weeks ago. No edging, no weeding light clean up for $1,800 I thought it would take 18 yards, it was hard to estimate because it had a few scattered beds in the yard and mulching around the house. It took 3 of us 4 hours and 14 yards. Thats $120 in labor and $350 in mulch plus tax. Im not bsing, Im going to start pushing mulch, theres alot of money in it. Also the customer was very pleased with the job.