1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time for another fuel price thread

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Olylawnboy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

What's going on where you are? Gas has been going up here in the NW every day now for the last week. Reg is 3.19 and going up. What I really don't understand is diesel is up to 3.80. I think it's going to be an interesting winter.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The price of oil is $90+ a barrel now. I'm waiting to see what happened when the Russians get that super refinery up and running. Until then, the price of fuel in central NJ is $3.10 for diesel and $2.80 for gas. I fear the heating oil truck. I still haven't turned my heat on yet!
  3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

$3.25 for regular
    $3.49 for diesel

Jumped more than a quarter in just a few days here in Eastern Maine. I've put more than 20,000 miles on in the past 12 months. Makes me sick but there's not much to be done about it. #*(%&*(@#&%*(&#**# Oil companies!!
  4. Lawn_Boy

Lawn_Boy LawnSite Member

$2.90+ in Augusta, GA.
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Prices going up, sell equipment, buy goats for cut and fert jobs. Go green
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

diesel has gone up since its gotta be much cleaner than it was years ago. diesel is getting to the point of being refined as much as gasoline....when the fuel truck come to GU, the gas price was showing 2.20 per gallon for a drop on monday...no taxes included... and thats for 4k gallons..... 7k of low sulfur diesel was 15 cents higher....

for those who did not estimate good, better get out those pens and bump up your fuel surcharges.....
  7. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Regular- $3.10
    Diesel- $3.32

I have found the solution to killing low ballers, high gas prices for they won't be staying in business if this keeps up. Hell the local new has had the same gas story going to the last two to days!!

They say it will reach $4.00 a gallon shorty! Great!!! :dizzy:

Only the strong and financially minded will survive.
  8. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

$3.14 a gallon for Home Heating Oil! Thats a 200 gal fill up for $455.00 last January, today was $630.00. It may be a long winter. Some of Wisconsin got first measurable snow today. Temps in 30's. Still doing leaf control. Was thinking about corn or pellet stove. Whats the price of corn now days? PR
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You may not believe this, but it really ticks me off, supposedly what drove up the fuel now isn't even demand and supply...
    Get this, it's folks playing the stock market who buy petrol as a commodity.

Way it works is you buy or sell 'futures' of oil, beyond that I don't know but what I do know is if too many buy OR sell crude commodities is that this affects the price in the real world. So basically these people are gambling on what the price of oil will be, I don't particularly care what they do in that sense but that it affects the price, that gets me.

What a load of horse KkkkRAP.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

corn has gone up as well. everyone going to ethanol has driven the demand thus the price up. here's another related non related issue :) with the demand for corn being so high, land that used to be used to grow wheat has been planted in corn. couple that with the spring freeze and the drought this summer, wheat could be a short supply and most likely you will see the price of bread jumping as well.

My dad has 300+ head of cattle and I have begged him to sell off if not sell out instead of trying to buy enough hay to feed them all. Some of these old folks like him just cannot be convinced. It is almost as if he is of the mentality that if you don't farm you go to hell and don't EVEN talk to him about making money cutting people's grass.