1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time for bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fishhd, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Fishhd

Fishhd LawnSite Member

New to the forum. OK here goes, Its time to bid on a big city mowing contract. Could someone out there in cyber land tell me how the heck we are supposed to bid on a 3yr contract with fuel prices going to 3.50/gallon this year? What will be the price in 2011? I'm a small operation and getting to old to continue the manual labor. It's either go big or get out. Like my signature says.:help::help:
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Welcome to LawnSite. Put something in your contract that if the price of gas rises over $X.XX there will be a surcharge of $XXX a year. Just my .02
  3. Fishhd

Fishhd LawnSite Member

They hire multiple contractors so I don't think that's an option.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Getting LOCKED in on a price is one of the major factors that I have ran into.
    It's JUST NOT FAIR, for us, sometimes it's the only way to land the contract,
    HOWEVER, in my bids, "while submitting a long term contract" I have several clauses, such rise AND FALL of fuel prices,

Word it correctly so it looks like a 2 way street, and make a base line of 3.00 per gallon,
    this way, it will be fair for both parties,

Good luck
  5. Fishhd

Fishhd LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses, but the city makes the contract. The contractor agrees to there specs. I believe we could request a pre bidder meeting and the contractors could try to change how the bid reads. Or we could all just keep our yaps shut and hope for the best.:dizzy:
  6. Fishhd

Fishhd LawnSite Member

Bump. What are we doing in general with fuel prices, I know this must be a topic of daily discussion, but if the comp. isn't raising prices then were all screwed. I know guys still charging 80s prices.:eek::eek:
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

For the most part, the rise of fuel isn't or shouldn't make or break you. If a mower uses a gallon of fuel per hour @ $3.00 per gallon, it costing you say $0.50 more per hour to run it with a gas price increase really isn't hurting your bottom line (heck thats $4 on an 8 hour day you lose). I know around here you sign the contract and then if the county wishes to renew they can but the operator is entitled to an increase (like7-10%) per year.
  8. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

^ This Guys Pretty Smart !
  9. Fishhd

Fishhd LawnSite Member

Well your f-150 must get gooood gas mileage. No renewal option.
    OH and hows that dump truck on fuel usage.
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use the dump unless where doing new installs that require the tractor or hauling loads of rock,dirt, mulch,etc. Yes the vehicles use fuel and you should be figuring out your expenses and add that into your bid. You do realize there is a cost of doing business. If a $0.50 increase in fuel is going to put you out of business, then you may as well shut down now. With no renewal option, I'd bid it like it didn't matter if I won or not, why bid too cheap where you won't make what you should just to fill your schedule. (Not saying thats what your doing by any means)