Time for chaps?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by southerlawn, Mar 10, 2013.

1. southerlawn

southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC

As everyone knows chaps "should be used when using a chainsaw" but how about hedge trimmers?

2. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Never wear them too hot.

3. southerlawn

southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC

IMO hot vs stitches I'll take hot

4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Found some for tomorrow. imagesCAF0TIBY.jpg

imagesCAF0TIBY.jpg

5. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont see how chainsaw chaps would offer any protection to a hedge trimmer. Because how the chaps work in a chainsaw, I dont see them being effective in stopping hedge trimmers.

As for wearing chaps with a saw, I ALWAYS wear my chaps. Things happen to fast.

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Call me an idiot but never worn chaps will using the chainsaw or hedge trimmers. I dont do much work with either so I take it slow and careful. Knock on wood

7. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive wondered this as well, Typically when im running a saw im very stable and posted up if you want to call it that. However with hedge trimmers that blade is all over the place. Not to the mention once your arms are tired I tend to rest my arms more.

8. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at hedge trimming chaps, you will see a big difference between them and chain saw chaps. Saw chaps are filled with long yarn like threads from top to bottom. These threads get grabbed by the chain and pulled into the chain sprocket, thus stopping the chain. They are not designed to offer protection from the actual cutting edges, but rather stop the chain from moving.

Since hedge trimmers are a reciprocating blade, they would simply slice through the threads and into your skin as the threads would not be drawn into the drive mechanism. As such, hedge trimmer chaps have a stiff/ridged pad or plate in the thighs and a pocket for an athletic cup as you need the hard protection from the blade. In short, chain saw chaps would offer very little protection from a hedge trimmer.

Notice the plates in the hedge trimmer chaps

[​IMG]

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Been using hedge trimmers for 25 years and have done well over 1000 pruning jobs. From 4 or 6 shrubs to several hundred but most jobs normally have several dozen. The one and only time I ever got myself with a hedge trimmer was about 15 years ago. I had just finished a 100 foot long 10 foot tall hemlock hedge. I was using a set of 24 inch stihl hs45s I took my finger off the trigger and turned to walk away. But the blade took a few seconds to stop and in that moment the tip of the blade caught the hedge and pulled them into my left leg. Yes there was some blood but not a lot it pinched me right through my shorts and cut the shorts as it pinched me. I have a V scar in the middle of my thigh about 1 inch per side. I don't know of chaps would have protected me but I am not interested either way. The dangers of heat stroke for me are of far greater concern I don't sweat allot so adding layers of clothing is a bad idea.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

when i worked for another company in college we always wore shorts and put chaps on when we did the trimming. looking back on it that was stupid. :laugh: it's just better to wear long khaki pants. they are nowhere near as hot.

when i trimmed my own yard i just did it wearing shorts and nothing else. working all day though i don't like my legs being brown from all of the dust sticking to the sweat on my legs. :laugh:

i've never worn chaps using a chainsaw or hedge trimmers. you gotta control the tools and not let them control you. work at a steady pace. don't try to be super fast or get done in a hurry. that's when accidents happen.

use the lightest hedge trimmers you can find. i actually use battery powered right now. it's super light and my arms never get fatigued. i have 4 batteries and each battery lasts 30-45min. i have thought of buying a hedge trimmer attachment for my trimmer or getting a gas powered hedge trimmer. most of those are too heavy but i saw a husqvarna at lowes the other day that was pretty light for a gas hedge trimmer.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013