1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

time for me to hit the road on my own...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by armyworm, Feb 2, 2007.

1. armyworm

armyworm LawnSite Member

Hey fellas, I stumbled upon this site while google searching for tips on starting my own lawn business. Sounds like everyone here knows what there talking about and I would like you guys to help me out. I'm thinking of quitting
    my job of 10 yrs with the lawn company I'm with and do what I only know what to do which is lawn care. I'm 30 and getting old and would like to do something for me other then helping the rich get richer. Anyone here quit there 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. lawn care job and doing well? If so let some light shine this way cause I'm done working for demanding bosses!!!
  2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck,
    You've got to do something, breaking your back for someone else isn't where it's at.
    Go legit
    Start selling NOW
    Buy what you need, not what you want
    A lot of guys go under when they set out on their own because they buy a brand new 1 ton, and all the mowers/blower/trimmers etc that their credit will allow, but they don't have 20 clients. Get clients first, buy commercial, just what you need.
  3. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

buy commercial equipment that's used to get your started if you don't have 30 grand to invest. it's often discouraging that there are soooo many people going into the landscaping/maintenance business(es) and quitting. most seem to think it's a quick and easy buck which is not true.

like anything, you get out of it what you put into it. get pumped up and go for it!
  4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Only thing I see wrong here is ... you think you are getting old at the age of 30! I just left a career of 31 years to do this full time, and make a 2nd career for myself. Should have went this direction full time long ago ... but there is never a better time then now! Tomorrow is but a memory ... today is the best day to start anything.

Go for it ... don't look back. Be dedicated ... have the drive and desire to succeed, and you will. There is plenty of work here for those who want to do it. Just remember ... never sell yourself short, and don't work for free ... unless it is by choice.
  5. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

do it

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

just working for someone else....

your probably more knowledgable then most here,,,,

you will do well...GOOD LUCK :)
  7. LandmarkPM

LandmarkPM LawnSite Member

I am also taking this very same road. I'm 32 and quitting a job I've been at for 10 years. I started my Lawn business last year and did well for only working part time evenings and weekends.I sit behind a computer and put up
    with office drama all day long and can't take it anymore.I do have experience
    working outdoors and working very hard (was a mason tender for 4 years).
    I would much rather work hard physically and get self gratification from my own work.I am scared though because my current job pays well and supports
    my family well.I guess it's a step everyone has to take in order to realize there dreams. I've been browsing the priceless information all over the site for a few months now. I can't believe the wealth of information it holds.I've
    learned so much from people here and this is only my first post.It's nice to know that there is a place to go for help.It's also nice to hear some encouraging words for new guys like me. Thanks to all!!
  8. armyworm

armyworm LawnSite Member

I agree landmarkPM with every thing you said. That is why its now or never...
  9. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Go for it...Stay active on here, there is alot of good advice and if you ever have a question it is usually answered in less than an hr, lol. Great site and great career choice. Get some accounts, buy what you can afford for now, and start putting money back into your business for new equipment and other expences. Don't invest to much in your business before you have one
  10. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

Exactly why I havent gotten a full time job.... I only work from 6pm to 12am and i try to do yard work during the day but i cant really get many customers dunno what im doin wrong :\ ..... if it gets good in the spring thats good but..... what if i dont have any customers for the fall or winter this year