time for new rubber

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok guys, now get your mind out of the gutter.

i'm in need of some new tires for my new truck, the factory ones on it have worn horribly, and it's not due to alignment. I found the tires i want to go with, and they are Firestone Transforce HT. but i don't know how big i can go. my truck is bone stock, and will likely stay that way with the exception of maybe a leveling kit in the front. i currently have 245 sized tires, and can go to 265, but can i go to 285 without having problems with the front tires? i don't want them to rub against anything.

i would appreciate any suggestions on this issue, or if you think there is a better tire for smooth highway towing.

here is a link to the tires i'm getting http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Transforce+HT

thanks guys(and gals)

2. MOWALLTHETIME

MOWALLTHETIME LawnSite Member

I have 265's mastercraft courser at2 on my 2004 2500 hd I went with the f range 12ply since I am always hauling. I have nearly 40,000 on them and they are still deep in tread I got them mounted balanced with road hazard for right at 800 bucks. I have been really pleased. They do good on pavement, wet or dry and reasonably well off road for an All Terrain tire. most important factor is to keep at least 70lbs in them or they wear faster. my buddy uses the firestone transforce at on his truck and has good luck with them. If you are going to put 285's on your truck you need to get new torsion bar keys and lift the truck up the right way. Do not crank the bars ever ever ever!!!!! The kit cost about 275.00 and it is worth it.

3. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

First, you got robbed on the tires. I can get those same tires through our shop for less than 100 each. Second, 70 psi is too high on those tires. And last, if you put in the keys you still are cranking up the torsion bars. The keys just let you crank them further. We have been putting the Nitto Dura Grappler on a lot of trucks and everyone seems to love them. Stay away from the Mastercraft. We have had a lot of wear issues with them. Firestone is still an excellent choice. Just remember the number one key to making them last is keeping the correct tire pressure and rotate EVERY oil change.

4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

265's will fit no problem. And yes you can trun your t-bars up. You will need to have front end allined though. If you go too far with the t-bars, you will need to install shock extenders as the stock shocks will be too short. You can also get new shocks. The $275 kit has new keys(green keys) and shock extenders. The green keys replace the stock keys, and do the same thing as turning up your stock keys. Still need a reallinement. If you want to level your front end, check out Norcal. You can read lots about the subject on dieselplace.com...........:usflag:

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I hear the michelin ltx are pretty good tires. i have them on my 1500. They do make a load range E tire like you need. I read alot of reviews on them and people liked them

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

You should leave the stock size on it. It will give you the best mpg and less wear and tear. Just put an E rated tire on it.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, 265's are as big as you can go without clearance issues... Too bad that chevy/gmc uses such squared and tight fenders over the wheels! I had the same troubles with my '00 GMC.

I was able to use 285's, of course had to get new wheels since they are too wide for the factory ones. My torsion bars were already cranked up (and it had been aligned) so other than removing the mudflaps on the front they fit ok. Rubbed in the plastic on the inside of the fender when turning some. Once I did the 3" body lift I was able to re-install my mudflaps, after some modifications to them.

For me, I've been pleased with the Mickey Thompsons I put on my truck. They are a D-load and have LOTS of tread. I've put some miles on them now and I really don't notice any wear on them.

8. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

WOW! i have 315-75-16 on my '00 2500 hd and all i did was crank the torsion bars/align and cut a little trim off. (about 4" sq per fender)

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got stock sized Transforce HTs on my dually. They used to be called Steeltex, which were used on alot of semis. They are holding up far better than the Wrangler STs that came on it. One roundtrip north and the Wranglers would be shot. Most times they would go bad on the return trip unloaded by going egg shaped.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a quiet long lasting tire that will stand up then look at the Bridgestone Duravis Line up.

The Duravis R250 comes in up to a 265 size and will last a very long time on a P/U truck. The tread pattern is the same what a class 8 truck uses I have the R250s on my 03 F-450

The Duravis R500HD is a closed shoulder drive tire which works good in all position.

The Michelin LTX M/S are good but won't wear as good as the Bridgestones.