1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time frame for dethatching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllSeasonsAllReasons, Mar 20, 2001.

1. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

I know that it is a hard thing to try to guess somethings with all the different variances there are but could some one tell me maybe how long it would take them to dethatch say a 1,000 sq ft of lawn including cleaning it up? Just trying to get a feel for the time i would need! This would be just one person doing it! Thank you Cory
  2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

The variance i think that would make a big difference is equipment. Thatcher and rake only? ZTR? billy goat or like vacume?

What equipment do you have or will you be using?

5,000 sf might take 3-4 hours to do by your self. Also, will you be cross thatching? Seeding? Fert? etc.

Hope you can find some sort of help in this. I cant. lol
    good luck
    acute cut
  3. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

well i am just going to try it out for the first time this year! So i am just going to rent a thatcher from a rental yard first to see if i want to offer this service on a long term basis! No fert the three i have to do just want dethacthing no fert aps. Thanks again
  4. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

On a 3,000 sq. ft. property with one laborer from start to finish is approx. 45 minutes. This is unloading, re-loading equipment, running a thacther one direction, hand raking the thatch onto tarps and hauling them to the truck.
  5. Don't be a big green lacky. Demand that if you dethatch that
    the customer buy your complete lawn care package.

If they balk then charge 2-4X the normal rate but of course since you have not done any time studies you have no clue of what your production rates therefore (proper spelling LakeGas) you have idea of how to price the job at 1x.
  6. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

Although it's my first year at this I've been doing nothing but power raking for the last 3 weeks. Here's how long it takes me on my own:
    Per 1000 square feet

For thatch removal: approx. 1/2 an hour
    For moss removal:moss killed beforehand: approx. 1hr
    moss not killed first:1 to 1.5 hrs

First I run the power rake over once, rake thatch or moss onto a tarp, repeat, in case of moss there is also alot of hand raking to remove moss from areas inaccessible with power rake. I do a very thorough job when compared to others around here and I average at least one referral per job. Neighbours like to check out and see what you're doing.

Good Luck

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For those that rake, just use your blowers. It's much more efficient, and faster too. Just don't try to push too much at once. (depending on blower - you get a feel for your blowers efficiency capacity) Just make several smaller piles. Now, this doesn't mean neat little tight piles, either. Just rough round pools. You can gather it when you pick it up on the tarp. It's not necessary to have "tight piles - wasted time. We usually just use a push blower or the mowers to wind row it. The mowers can move the stuff faster than you can rake. Utilize your equipment!
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm gonna be in a little different category here and I guess I have the right equipment for the job. I can honestly do 1000 sqft in less than 10 minutes.
    Thatched, vacuumed and dumped.
    The Walkers aren't the fastest mowers but they are unreal when it comes to thatching.
    The business is very profitable here also. I was just at my dealer and he sold a 13k gas w/c Walker to a guy that is using it JUST for thatching.
  9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

what the heck kind of machine do you use? Walker, i know. I mean, what type of walker? 10 minutes is unreal!
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

A 10x 100 strip of lawn can be dethatched with my Walker 26EFI GHS with a 42" deck extremely fast. If I want to I can dethatch and pick the debris up at the same time. I usually go over the bad lawns 2 times and the bad areas can get extra attention but this machine is made for collecting debris. The dethatcher snaps on and off in 20 seconds. It is a great time of year and I'm going outside to play with it right now.