time involved spreading rocks

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jman00, Feb 3, 2002.

1. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

for two men spreading rocks how long should it take to spread 1 load of rocks 7 or 8 yards in a drive way. there are already rocks on the drive and this would be a top dressing. The lady is going to get the driver to dump in 2 or 3 places on the drive. I have never done this before and need to give her an estimate on time or price. and i would like to know of equipment that would be helpful.
    thanks

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

A good driver should be able to dump the rocks while driving forward. This will lead to the rocks being spread pretty evenly. Then a couple hours to finishe the job with some hand tools working the edges and getting everything even. This is how I have done the job before. Even easier if you have a skid steer it can be even easier.

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

So why is she providing the material for your job? Part of the service, and profit, you derive of a job is from providing the material. Not saying you should go buy a truck, just that you should sub the delivery. That way you have control over when its delivered and more importantly how. That said, if the driver helps you out when delivering, two guys should knock this out in three to four hours.

4. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Two people with and a tractor with front end loader and box blade should be able to spread 7-8 yds of gravel in 1 hr. One runs the tractor while the other uses a shovel and landscaping rake.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with SCL if the order is too big for my dump. Which in most cases a driveway will be then I have it delivered and is part of my price. Still most of the profit will be made in the labor and you can keep your costs down by having the driver spread the material during the dump.

6. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

all of your info was helpful thanks.

the story behind this if you care. this woman is divorced and has to depend on men to do a lot of things for her, and she tries to get them as cheap as possible or free. and i am not down with free so i tell her to take care of everything and i will supply the labor. its easier for me that way cause she would not like my price anyway and my time would be wasted. she is the first on the list to drop if i need, but i guess money should not come easy all the time right.

thanks again.

7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Fist, even though you're new to Lawnsite, you should know that we all love and care about anyone's story. That said, this sounds like a good guy job, and its okay to do those from time to time. Whatever makes you feel good. Just remember you have kids to feed and insurance and taxes to pay. Good Luck.

8. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

most trucks around here haul 16 tons so thats around 8 yards if you are there when the truck is put a chain on the gate so it only theres a open around 6"this keeps you from getting to big a pile .just get a small dump pull truck up and knock down with a rake kee p doing this till empty.
    you need to be the boss of the truck they will try to dump the whole load to get out of there faster i could do the job by my self in about 30 min tops and not even use a shovel.

9. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

for got to tell you to watch over head wires and stuff.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rodney, do you glow in the dark at night from this or something? lol

Seriously though, this is excellent advce. Always check your overhead clearance whenever operating a dump.

Bob