"Time Is Money"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Star Lawn Care LLC, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear countless contractors us the term time is money and i agree with everyone in the respect that time does cost me money.

But if you stand back and look at the big picture time doesnt really make you money the quality of your work makes you the money. And to sacrifice time for quality just seems to be kinda silly.

You could be the fastest crew around and everything is centered around speed but you have forgot to pay attention to details and end up losing alot of customers at the end of there contracts but u just figure ill just replace them with new ones.

i guess what im trying to say is why do some care so much about speed and forget the bare essentails of bussiness that is to do a quality job.

I dont even know how many contracts that i have got becuase the last company just hasnt listened to the customer and hasnt tooken care of them.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point Eric,

I guess it just comes down to business philosophy. Do you want to retain a high percentage of your clients, and while doing so keep them happy(which may equate to you charging more)? Or do you want to bust ballls to make up for underbidding yourself? I know where i want to be.

3. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I was always taught efficiency breeds quality.It's not so much get it done but get it done right in the fewest possible steps.

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that you can be very productive and still maintain quality, thats how i do it.

I Would rather be a comapny that is based on quality rather than a company that is based on underbidding and providing low quality services to break even.

Just got off the phone with another aptment complex that there current company is cutting corners and doing a horible job.

When i first sit down with a client i will tell them right from the get go that im probably not going to be the lowest bidder but if they are looking for high quality job then im there man. In this highlyy competative industy you have to find ways to set yourself apart from your competition and quality is probably the eisiest and most effective way.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I like to find ways to do things faster and better, not just one or the other but both! That is challenging to do alot of times. It's all about being smarter than the other guy and thinking of things that will save time and improve quality, that is how you can have a better business.
    Eric

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope it is taken as a given that quality is the first priority. The challenge is keeping that quality while adding efficiency which reduces time. Lawns that are closer together reduces travel time. Little things increase efficiency without reducing quality. Like a NASCAR pit stop it is a beautiful thing when everyone is clicking and working together and it seems like you just unloaded the trailer and you off to the next lawn. DAM I miss it allready!

7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with what Thartz said.

Do it right, and as fast as possible.

8. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

My Dad always said "if you can’t do it right the first time don't do it at all!"

After efficacy will come speed! 100% customer satisfaction! That is the goal.

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Whoa - you are all talking about "time is money" "efficiency" etc - not one person on this thread is really motivated toward making their machines more efficient - Go Flex-Deck - once you have one you will never go back:p [​IMG]

52x-under trees2.jpg

10. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Quality of work is the essential element that draws more business.Cutting fast and efficient with quality work comes from the laborer(s)r and the equipment he/they use. Being solo, Versitality and speed of the equipment I usep moves me through and around small to medium size properties with minimal fatigue Demographics is another. I cannot drive 5- 10 miles between properties and expect to be efficient. I am slowly scaling back the distances I travel as new properties are gained near home base. Schedules and equipment load outs must also be tailored to the properties being serviced.