Time is $$$

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Heath, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Heath

Heath LawnSite Member

I am new to this site and I must say the information for what I am planning to do is very beneficial. In planning to start in the industry in the Spring of 06, I wanted an idea about many lawns I could realistically do working evenings after the 8-5 gig and on weekends. I was advised to start out solo as well as opposed to hiring part time help to get in more jobs. Feedback?

The Tips, Do's and Don'ts is great, thanks! thank goodness my wife is a CPA.

Go Astros!!

2. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

Maybe one after the work day and 4 on a nonworkdays solo

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

my stuff got cross-post in the wrong thread, sorry...

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

im going full time in the spring, but this year i have 25, from 5000 sqft to 3.5 acres and everthing inbetween.... i work my butt off,,,, but i get er done.....

5. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Same story here. Right at 20 I take care of now after work and on weekends. Size are around 8K-25K lawns with a nice 4ac commercial job I do. Most are weeklys with a couple bi-weekly and one lawn is every MFWMFW. Not too bad during the summer when the days are longer and I can work only a few days until dark but now I run every night until dark M-S and do aerations on Sunday just to keep up. Dumping the Eng job in the spring and going FT.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'm the cheep type,

I don't hire anyone until I have more than I can handle myself.

It's harder to do an entire yard by yourself, and more time consuming. but all the pay is yours.

When you get to the point where you cant do all the yards, or cant handle it.
    Hire someone, but try to have enoulf work to keep this person busy.

It's hard to find someone who's good and have them only work 3 hrs here and 5 there....

Day labors are sometimes a nightmare

7. Heath

Heath LawnSite Member

in a residential area with average size yards, how long does it take a one man team usually to knock a job? I know it depends on size of course, takes me approx. 1 hour to mow, edge, weedeat, clean up my little tiny yard by myself. after the 8-5 job, i would like to do 2 yards in the evenings on weeknights and around 20 more on the weekend. realistic?

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think the 20 yards on the weekends is unrealistic for you.You should GET some yards first and do the work then you will fiqure out how much you can handle alone

9. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

Depends of the drive time house to house. Depends on your equipment. It also is going to be difficult working 7 days a week.

10. joedaddy

joedaddy LawnSite Member

Very unrealistic. What happens if it rains Saturday and Sunday? Or if a part breaks on your mower and you have to order it, you would get way behind, besides Sundays are for church and resting.