1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time/Money savings for bagging vs tarping,etc

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, Nov 5, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 52" Tiger Cub w/ a cylcone rake that holds 33 bushels and a Lesco vac mounted to a F-350 12x8 dump. Personally, I find that this is the ultimate setup for me being solo and can't really think of anything to improve it and am very content w/ it for now. My question is for everyone who has a lot of leaves and their opinion of how I compare time and $ wise to others with similar setups or less of a setup that is solo.

For time wise I can completley suck up well covered leaves in about 2-2.5 times more than it would take me to mow. This includes completely cleaning any leaves that are in the street too since we often get real windy days around here and this leaves the house looking that much better. Therefore I charge that much more than I would for mowing. As far as disposing, I have a farm nearby that I will use the leaves next year for my trees that I'm growing so that is an added bonus. Now,is it safe to say that I'm well worth $60 an hour compared to others that use WB w/ baggers and haul on open trailers or leave at the curb because I feel that I should get way more than that but I'm afraid to quote above $60 an hour and yes I do state hourly since there are way to many variables in leaf cleanup and some like one yesterday want a quote and soon as they hear it will tell you to do it when all the leaves have fallen thus adding alot of time. So pricing by the hour eliviates all this and takes the risk out of my hands.