1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

time of day for watering?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Sep 3, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i was always told not to water in the mid day hot conditions. i always passed that info on. water mornings if possible, or if you have to, at night.
    this year, i have seen so many houses watering in the middle of day, under the hottest conditions, and the lawns look excellent. any opinion?
  2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

The main reasons for not watering during the day have to do with evaporation and poor distribution due to wind conditions.

During the hotter part of the day when the sprinkler is operating the fine mist (looks like rolling fog) is blown away and evaporates before it gets to the turf. And if there is any wind, usually above 7 mph, the distribution pattern is distorted and water is either blown past the borders of the property, or it doesn't reach the edges of the property. Many cities have ordinances that prohibit lawn watering between the hours of 9:00 AM and 6 PM for that reason. I have been busted by the water police after some blue-haired granny turned in a property that was watering during the middle of the day. When the authorities arrive and understand that we are repairing the system and need to turn it on to find the broken heads or leaks, they wander off in search of some other law-breaker. There is even one town in Texas that will send you a citation if the water from your sprinkler system that runs into the gutter actually goes past the far end of the neighbor's property. The ticket used to be $50.00.

Actually a drink of water in the late afternoon helps cool the grass and relieves some of the heat stress. Just a short 5 min cycle in the late afternoon - early evening does wonders for the grass in ther hot months.

If you are watering at night, try to finish up around sun-up or shortly thereafter. That way the wind is usually at it's least, the water can percolate into the soil, and the excess (from sprinkler systems that are commonly set to water too long) will evaporate. This will reduce the possiblity of fungus and disease from standing water.

So you can water most any time. Just try and conserve the water.

Jerry R