1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time of year to buy mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John's Lawns, Oct 13, 2003.

1. John's Lawns

John's Lawns LawnSite Member

First off, let me say this is a tremendously informative site that I just happened to stumble upon a few weeks ago. There is so much info here it is unbelievable. I have only been in the business a couple of years so I have much to learn.
    OK, enough rambling and on to the question. Since the mowing season is nearing it's end, is now a good time to be mower shopping? Would you get a better deal now then maybe February or March when mowing season is starting up? Thanks for any input.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Welcome to Lawnsite.
    The end of the season is usually a good time for shopping around.
    Dealers looking to reduce inventory,New models coming out...Just like auto dealers.But deals can be found in spring as well....Personally I like the end of the year.JMO.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Generally mowers are cheaper at the end of the year just because the dealer wants to make room for new models coming in the spring. Great financing deals are to be had in the fall as well as the spring.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

True the dealers have great deals going on right now, but are you going to use that mower anytime soon? Are you sure that you are going to have enough customers next year for that mower? I know you are down in Texas, and I don't know the conditions down there for during the winer months so only you can best answer these questions.

Those are just some things to consider. Up here in Michigan I would personally wait until February or the first of March to get one.
  5. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Dealers have floor plan interest staring at them right now. Units that came due back in August, are costing the dealer interest payments now. There is No money down, 0% interest, No payment till April 2004 finance plans available on many brands of equipment right now.

The dealers need to shed overhead going into winter, and are most willing to DEAL right now !
    You will have no interest, and no payments to make till your cash flow comes back up next Spring. Where is the risk for you ? This is pretty much a no brainer - you buy when the really good deals are available - and that is right now !
  6. John's Lawns

John's Lawns LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll do some shopping and see what I can find.
  7. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

purchased mine yesterday. gravely pm160z, paid $6200.
  8. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I bought my Z 2 years ago about this time of year. Only picked up leaves with it, didn't mow with it till the next season. I picked a contractors payment plan where you only pay from May to Dec., the months you are making money. I got a good deal with the Z and the UV.