Time of year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCOTLAND YARD, Feb 10, 2004.

1. SCOTLAND YARD

SCOTLAND YARD LawnSite Member

Wanted to know - what are the preset times of year in order to start activities. Such as Seeding, Aerating, Crab grass prevention, mowing, fertilizing and such. Im new and any solid info would be great. Im also in the Charlotte area.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

When the last freeze is over.

3. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Seeding should be done when the soil temperture is right . the best time to seed is late summer to fall. spring seeding could become a chore if your not experenced enough to know that weeds are actively growing and your new lawn can become a weed induced lawn. Crabgrass can also become difficult to control you didnt say if you need a pre or post emergent herbicide its very important to know when to apply chemicals at the right time of season for a paticular weed. I do not know what type of product you are using to fertilize so I cant help you, but all of the above can be done when the grass starts growing more or less...

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

SCOTLAND YARD, I'd say our weather should be just about right in about 3-4 weeks. We are already having an occasional 50 degree day but it is still getting too cold at night. I'd say when we start getting a couple of 60 degree days a week that you are safe.