Time-off/Vacation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Military Lawns, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

LCO's
    How do you handle time off? Like a week or two weeks off? I know the people up north have snow days, etc. But what about in the south where it is sunny almost year round. I am taking into consideration that things grow a lot slower in the winter.

DJ-:weightlifter:

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i know our down time in the winter between plowing were are fixing things making sure everything is 100% for next year organizing and signing on customers and just relaxing working 6 sometimes 7 days 10 or 12 hrs a day is enough for me i look forward to middle december when leaves are done until spring time

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

A week or 2. HA! Try from first week of december to the third week of march. All I do is push snow when it comes and sit on my a$$. I'm already bored out of my mind.

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Wished it was like that here in Delaware. We have had much snow the past couple of years

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Major dilemma for most smaller operations that work year round. Unless you have a few employees that are trustworthy, responsible, and capable of doing operations themselves, then you are grounded. If you are a plower, not even in the winter, can you get a break, because you always have to be ready. This is all the more incentive for some of the smaller operations to graduate to larger sizes (and graduate to better income, as well). Another option is to have a good network of friends in the industry that can help out in times like these. We've done this NUMEROUS times for each other. As long as you have someone who does good work (and having the same sized deck(s) helps), yu are in good shape. Now, it may possibly catch some customers off guard sometimes (we have some funny stories to tell) when they see an entirely different company pull up to their property and service it, but for the most part, you never have any trouble with it. They are appreciative as long as they are being serviced. This networking is probably the most racticle way to go for most smaller operations. It costs you the price of the cut to do it, but you're not really losing anything....you're on vacation....it is well worth it.

6. Military Lawns

from Florida

Runner,
    I was thinking along the lines of networking with other reputable LCO's. This is part-time work for me and I only have twenty (20) lawns to tend to. But, like most American's, I like some R/R. Another option you mentioned and that I have often thought about was to grow my business.

I have a brand new pressure washing trailer (Magna Blast) with all the equipment just sitting in my shop. Yes, at one time I was going to get into that business. Lately, I have been offering that as an option for my customers and got a warm reception. I think the holidays is partly responsible for that.

Next year I may hire one well rounded employee to help me ramp up the business.

DJ-

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

2-3 winter months is for vacation (from landscaping) for me.. im not gonna be plowing snow for a few more years hopefully never

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I think a lot of you guys lose sight on the fact that running a LCO is running a business. Set a schedule for the year. You pretty much know when you are going to do regular lawn mtce, if you fert and squirt, you know you have 7 to 8 apps 6 weeks apart, etc.....You have to plan. Someone once told me, "people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan". If you work year round, there are times where you can set certain weeks for vacation. Just schedule this during your slow period. Time off is important, if not you will burn out like some many others have. Funny that this thread came up, because we just set our 2007 Calender. Got a week off in April, (spring break to take the kids to see Mickey and his friends) Thanksgiving day until that following Monday, Xmas Eve, and Xmas. Dont work weekends unless its a schedule landscape project. I have weeks open from Feb-May and Sept-Dec for landscaping. Take a little time off in Jan, before I start my Marketing season from Late Jan-End of Feb. Hope my upload of my calendar shows up....Planning is the most important part of running any business, so dont lose sight.....

Attached Files:

9. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I try to take off from dec 20th to jan 5th if its not snowing but the rest of the winter I do construction with my father he owns a co. this jan we are officialy going merge my business and his together. So as he says one call does it all

10. Military Lawns

from Florida

TJ,
    I certainly appreciate your advice and the calender you attached did show up.

DJ-