1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time per pot size to install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by southscape, Jun 2, 2004.

1. southscape

southscape LawnSite Member
    from NC

I've timed the installation of the various gallon sizes plant are sold in. I've come up with these times for each pot to be planted. What are your's and do these seem accurate?

Size Minutes
    Flat 30
    Pint 5
    #1 12
    #3 20
    #5 32
    #7 40
    #15 50
    #30 75
    B&B 90

Look forward to hearing you guys' times.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I plant a flat of 48 in less than 10 minutes. Any size pot up to 5gal in 10 min. or less. B&B depends on size, but never had one take me an hour and a half.
  3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

You have to figure in all of your handling time per pot as well. Pick it up at the nursery -- loading it onto the trailer -- unloading -- carrying it to the planting spot -- etc -- it all adds up. However, I may disagree witht he time difference betweena dn 1 - 3 and 5 gallon pots. Those are all basically the same amount of time -- less than one minute difference really.

Those times sound about right especially if you figure in your time to place, fertilize and water each shrub.
  4. southscape

from NC

The time for planting includes digging the hole, handling the pots and watering in fully. Pickup time I quote separately.

What are your times for the 1,3,5?
  5. urbanlandscape

urbanlandscape LawnSite Member

Friday we planted 225 #1 perennials in 5 hours, time in at jobsite and time out with watering. Bustin' a**. This was not a difficult job, though. No tree roots, rocks, no clay etc. Including time to mix 50 bags of soil (40 lbs.) with about 10 cubic feet of peat moss, which my normal planting mix. In poor soil a job like that could have taken twice as long, or more. Oh, and we had to walk about fifty feet to unload the plants.
    I used to be able to plant a flat of 48 annuals in under a minute (don't ask how, that was when I was 17, youth gives you some crazy energy). Right now on annuals, I'm running between 10-20 minutes per flat of 48. Depends on if they have drip irrigation in the way, bulb foliage, tree roots, etc. I also have spread soil to topdress the annual beds, which helps get it planted much quicker.
    Good thread. I always wondered what everyone else's times were but I was too afraid to ask. I'm young (24) and my brother is 22, so I normally round up on my install times because I know I won't be able to work like this forever.
  6. Grassmechanic

Daaaayyum! It takes me more than a minute to get some of them buggers out of the 4 packs! Especially Ageratum that have been in the flats too long.
  7. southscape

from NC

What I've been doing for quotes for awhile now is coming up with a number for plant material and then calculating my labor rates based off of the numbers above for each size pot. Then add overhead. It's all in a self populating spreadsheet and seems to have taken a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. My quotes have been much more consistent since. Somewhere in toward the middle-higher end of what has been quoted, which is where I want to be. Most of the time, I've been able to get the deal closed. That's why I'm wondering what other peoples times per pot are.

BTW, we planted 340 1 gal. liriope in about 1.5 hours. 2 guys in a prepped bed.
  8. j9sheldon

j9sheldon LawnSite Member

sorry guys, what does B&B stand for?
  9. Grassmechanic

balled and burlapped.
  10. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

We just had a good job to figure our time to charge for groundcovers. 2 of us planted 11 flats (32 per flat) 2 1/2" pots in 170 minutes. We are just putting together data for other sizes of pots.