1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time required for cleanup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 18, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am only looking for a time not price LOL a guy called for a cleanup today and I'm going to look at and do it tomorrow but he said it is about 12,000 s.f. and he had a heart attack last fall and wasn't able to do the leaves. I think I will plan on running the Scag 52 over everything to loosen stuff up and reduce the bulk and then blow the beds out and grind again if necessary (followed by baggin) or just put the bagger on and suck it all up after first grinding. I assume there will be trimming involved and some leftover grass too. Anyone have any idea about how long it might take? I know you can't really say without a pic or more info sorry. Just curious.

I'm thinking a couple hours by myself?
  2. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

i find these types of jobs are hard to figure even if you do see them. I usually give them an hourly rate and they take it or leave it. hope this helps
  3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thats my kind of thinking but he wants a "ballpark figure" before I do it (he will be home when I get there).
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I had one like that the other day but is was bigger. I told her I would do it hourly, but she wanted one price so I told her $1000. she flipped out. she is about 80 years old with very thick glasses so I dont think she knew how many leaves were in her yard.
  5. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't be like me and under estimate the clean up job.. I just finished one today and spent too much time. My guess what I'm going to do next is If I think it'll take 4 hrs. then I'll figure 8 hrs....
    I'll walk over a job and think this will be a easy one !!! Na... This is just my thought....

Lou :cool:
  6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to say without seeing it. The method you are talking about sounds interesting. I really would like to get one of those flaps to cover the discharge, may help out alot for grinding leaves.
  7. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

If they want a ballpark figure tell them the dimensions of Camden Yard.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

ksland, I thought I sent you an email? well anyway, email me eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz I can get you one of those flaps.... they are great for leaves!
  9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bushhogboy. I have struggled witht this in the past myself but this method seems to work well. I look at a yard anc cecide how much I would charge to mow it. If I am just cleaning sticks and leaves fron the yard I charge twice the mowing rate. If I am also doing plant beds and shrubs, then three times the mowing rate. More often than not I get good results with this.
  10. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1. move/blow all leaves to the outsides of nearest flower garden
    2. blow out flower gardens into these piles as well
    3. mulch the **** out of those piles leaving you with much smaller piles of mulched leave debris/dust
    4. blow this nutritious ground cover debris/dust back into the flower beds.
    5. explain to the customer that because theyre so nice you wont charge them for the soil additives and plant food you just added to his gardens
    6. have them write you a check for $300

youll be there 3 hours with a lot blower

double the price if they want that lovely mulch bagged for removal