time saving fert. equipment.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, May 7, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We will be finished round 1 this week. We started 3 weeks later this season, than last, due to the snow. We attribute this record breaking (for us) schedule to the lesco HPS ride on spreaders, some credit to the kubota that can spread & spray at the same time. These articulating spreaders are dare i say, revolutionary for the lawn care industry. I put this invention right up there with the breakthrough technology to mix fert/control products. I have seen lots of inventions over 28 years in this business, but few have impressed me like these machines!

2. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Just think of the things that have changed since 1985 in the lawn care business, when I started.

600 + 100 gallon Graham spray rigs on a one ton chassis - waaaaaay overloaded. Everything blanket app'ed, everything sprayed by hand.

Ground limestone (remember the white stuff?) with two guys pushing a 4 or 5 foot drop spreader. Most lime going onto the neighbors property in the wind.

Dursban 50W in the round cardboard tubes. Open it up and pour it in the tank. Don't forget your respirator, apron, splash shield, hat, gloves. Oh, yeah, time for your cholinesterase test - roll up your sleeve!

In this day and age I can cover with one truck and one turf tracker what used to take 3 or 4 of the old spray trucks. Separate spray and spread systems cut your chemical costs way down. Having small sprayer systems on the trucks cuts potential liability.

It's a lot more fun now, and a lot less work.

3. lawn king

Don't forget the cyclone spreaders with the hard plastic wheels or balan crabgrass control, back pack sprayers and blowers had not yet been invented. Sometimes i feel the young poeple on this site and similar ones, don't realize how much easier it is for them, than it was for us.Perhaps i'm just getting old?

4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I remember when an old boss took my broom off the truck and put on a new shiny 50 pound Kawasaki Windmill blower! He said this will really make your life easy. That sucked worse than the broom!

5. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Hate to ask....what have you invested in this equipment ? Also check my latest post in this section.

6. lawn king

$ 5000. on the ride on spreaders. $ 30000. on the kubota and implements.

7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Ya you old farts when we were kids we suffered.
    These new kids need to suffer more!

8. lawn king

I don't want anyone to suffer in this business and i'm sure bobs (pilgrims pride) post was in a joking context! Lawn care veterans like us just want the respect due us for paving the way. This great site is about sharing information and helping each other out, not waiting to jump all over people because they are in the learning stages!

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Balan was an improvement over dumping 5 gallon buckets of betasan into spray tanks - that stuff ate through decals and then the paint.....

"They" pulled Sylvex my second year in the business - just because it contained a little Agent Orange.....

2-3 reapplications of Diazinon usually took out the grubs.....

Yeah, I DON"T miss the good old days.

:)

10. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Scott, (Lawn King)

Ya I was just funnin'
    Honestly I'm greatful for the experiences we all had as it sure makes these new machines that much sweeter!